Accidental Spring

Accidental Spring
"Accidental Spring" This began as the background for painting other papers, but became something else!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Have a wonderful Holiday week

I have been beyond busy, which is fine. I remembered another story about my mom. I had forgotten this for many, many years.

My childhood home had a backyard which ended at "the woods," a narrow strip of woods with a brook running through it. When I scampered up the small bank at the back end of the yard, it was perhaps fifty yards to the brook, which, very conveniently had a fallen tree across it. I could scamper across, then climb up a steep bank for another fifty feet or so, to the corner of two streets. In the winter you could see that corner from my bedroom window. I ran up there year round, and was three houses from my best friend's house.

It was also the convenient path across town for what we then called "hobos." Mom would not call them bums, and we did not talk about "the homeless" back then. A few times in my early-ish childhood, I came out from under the willow tree canopy when I heard my mother loudly yelling at some man at the edge of the woods who seemed to be approaching Nancy and me, playing in our ground-tree house. I do not remember being afraid, however.

Mom had a social conscience. I was with her on the steps of the library for the town's "sympathy march" for the big Washington Civil Rights march.  We all sort of had a to-do there, with speeches and food. But we all listened together to the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. because about five people had radios tuned in to the same stations. I don't know whether there were transistors or what. I was too busy looking at the people's faces. Mom made us look at the hosings by the police, and the attack dogs. She felt we should know what other children had to endure. I remember crying and she said, "Honey, you SHOULD cry for them. It is a terrible thing." I was crying because they seemed to MAKE the dogs bite people, but I felt it wise not to say anything. Besides, I DID know she was right.

Which leads me to Christmas. There were three of them--three men with slick-combed hair and chinos and shiny belt buckles. Men who looked, as some Beatrix Potter book said, I think, as if they had dusty corners. I remember one dark green shirt with frayed edges, but it was very smooth. The other men were generally wrinkled. That's what I remember--wrinkled faces, wrinkled shirts, wrinkled trousers. But shiny buckles. Smooth, shiny hair. And clean.

They came together to the back kitchen door from the first Christmas when I was five, and two more after that. My mother handed out  cookies and a $5 bill to these "hobos."  I remember it vividly because my parents felt we should see people who were not doing well. We should know about it and understand. We ourselves were one minor catastrophe from poverty, but my mother would point out "That catastrophe hasn't happened for us. And we're having a wonderful Christmas. And we have a home with a bath and a half, and they have none."

That was a lot of money to my parents, and the men knew it. They were respectful to her and they did not come around at other times--at least not when I saw.  They stopped coming, though, by the time I was nine--the town had done a "sweep" in the fall, and did another one in November so they would not bother people any more. My parents talked about that one morning when they didn't know I had been up before they sat down to breakfast before Daddy went to work. Sometimes I didn't go in and bother them; I sat on the couch, still half asleep, listening to their voices, catching bits and pieces of conversations that swirled far above the head of a child.

"They don't hurt anyone. I don't CARE what they say. Those men were never anything but kind. I ASKED them to come up so I could help, Jim."

"I know, dear. But times are changing. It isn't like when we were kids. Some of these men are dangerous."

"I know, I know. But not our hobos. They were just down on their luck." And that's all I remember.

A year later my mother got a letter from one "to the Lady at 274 Parker Street" and she cried. He had a job and lived in an apartment, but he'd wanted to thank her. All she said was, "See? I was right. He was a perfectly find man."

My parents invited strangers to our home on Christmas Day sometimes. There was a single mom who was a waitress at their favorite restaurant. She brought her little girl one time when I was about eleven, and we gave her a doll. And my dad sat down with some young man from the shoe store, and they worked on something one Christmas afternoon in his den.

My parents wanted us to celebrate, to party, to revel on Christmas. We all did, but it was not out of greed. I think for them it was out of some enormous sense of gratitude and a recognition that so far we had been lucky. Mom hated the word "blessed" because she felt it sounded as if we might think we were specially chosen or something. No, she and dad felt we were simply lucky. And our Christmas was the family's Thanksgiving.

To tell the truth, she was never quite sure about where Jesus the Christ fell into things. She was candid about that, but on Christmas Eve, she would read the story, and we would put the "star in the east that led us" in the scene last thing. Her set had the baby in the manger already, so we decided to put the star up last

When I was a teenager, she would stand there looking at the Créche and say, "Well. I just don't know about God's only begotten son. You may be right, Jetty, that he tried some begotten daughters but they were killed at birth. You are right, honey. People didn't care much about daughters. They didn't when I was a girl, either. But I don't know. There is something about this magical time. I think I would rather believe the story than not. Doesn't it seem wonderful to think that God sent us a BABY to straighten us out? Maybe we can try believing anyway, just the way we believe in other things." And she would sing "God so loved the world..."


She would ask if I believed in Santa and I would smile and say yes. I LIKED believing in elves and fairies and Santa.

"Well, then," she'd say. "Jesus the Christ it is. Where the HELL did I put that North Star?"

***
My friend and I were talking about how to celebrate when we see so many people in need around. She can't and I understand that completely.  For me, though, I am celebrating how lucky I have been in the past three years to have people who reached out to me to help me feel grounded, who actually supported me while I waited eighteen months for Social Security Disability, who linked hands beneath me, a living net of love to keep me from falling.  I honor the beauty that was in both my parents. I honor the gift of love, I guess, hokey as that may sound. Our minister mentioned that revelry is part of our heritage as a species, and perhaps setting aside what amounts to survivors' guilt is okay. That doesn't make us greedy or insensitive.

I have much to think about; much to be grateful for. Without these people who will be here Saturday night, I could very easily have been one of those "hobos" by now. Literally. And without some of you, as well, who sent messages, sometimes gifts, who read what I wrote and made me feel that it was worth going on.

(And, well, besides ... there are cookies. And best of all? there are wind up toys. How can I NOT revel?)


I hope you ALL have a healthy and wonderful holiday season. I will be back in the New Year.

14 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Christmas blessings to you!

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. That was very moving. I loved hearing about this side of your mother and father.

This Christmas day I am going in to Lifeline to do a shift - it is such a hard time of year for so many people that I feel obligated to be there for people if I can. And listening is such a small thing, that hopefully can mean so much.

I hope that your busyness bring happiness with it.

JeannetteLS said...

thank you, Debra.
What a wonderful thing to do, E's Child! My busyness brings a whole lot of joy, as does the revelry.

I love writing about this side of my parents as well. As I have said often enough, my family was a rain forest, Lush or rotting, with little in between--But the lush parts were the text, and the rotting was more the punctuation marks.

I was more lucky than not, despite the pain. And JIM was NOT mean, even a little, at Christmas.

Bruce Coltin said...

I think you would have made a very charming hobo. Merry Christmas, Jeannette.

JeannetteLS said...

Perhaps I would have, Bruce... as long as I had me one o' them portable winches to get up into a train... or up from the ground after a night's sleep in the open air, for that matter.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

Anne Gallagher said...

What beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing them.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Kass said...

I just love your mother. What a great memory. My dad grew up by the railroad tracks and Oma would give things to the hobos regularly. Whenever I hear the sounds of trains, I think of my grandmother and the hobo who didn't quite make it on the train.

JeannetteLS said...

I love my mom, too.

"Whenever I hear the sounds of trains, I think of my grandmother and the hobo who didn't quite make it on the train." That sentence does something to me ... It's the start of a novel I think.

Thank you so much Anne.

I feel like a KID this year. I really do. It has been seven years since I felt so centered, so FULL in the ways that matter. The pain is the pain is the pain--but that's just the physical stuff now. Inside? Inside I'm dancing. And I think I am playing the tambourine--one with satin streamers on it.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Your writing brings up so many images. We had 'hobos' when I was a kid too. Some people called them 'winos' but since my grandpa was one of those we didn't use that phrase. Too close to home. Your mother sounds like an incredible human being and I think you are right in honoring that beauty in her. I feel very lucky this year as well. Although I lost my only sister this past summer, I am so grateful for the beauty she brought to our lives and that which she left behind.
Thankyou so much for your gift of story telling and may much love and light continue to come your way.

Sextant said...

Your mother was an incredible woman. Her fall to alcoholism is doubly tragic.

I hope your Christmas was wonderful, and wishing you a very happy New Year. This was another very lovely post.

JeannetteLS said...

In working on my memoir, as I've been doing pretty seriously the couple of months leading to Christmas, I realize so much of the perspective I am taking has to do with my mom.

She was a remarkable woman, who went through her life touching probably hundreds of people, one to one. In her daily dealings, she would get to know the details of the lives of the butcher, the Austrian refugee who had the corner store a five minute walk from home, the GP, the woman who gave me piano lessons, our Hungarian refugee neighbors two doors down, a random woman who waited on her when she was buying her nylons one day at Burton's on Main Street.

She knew everyone in a personal way. Her small life enlarged other people's lives. And in her private pain and sorrow, she drank.

My mother was one of a kind, and I think my story is winding up to be more about her story than my own. I think we cannot truly separate the two. Which is fine.

I miss her. Always.

Elephant's Child said...

Your last comment made my eyes leak. Our stories are quite similiar on that front. For many years my mama was something I aspired to become and then, after my father's death, she jumped into the bottle and became a person I am so, so afraid of turning into. I really want a copy of your memoir.

JeannetteLS said...

I have always been afraid that one drink out of despair might turn me in a direction from which I could not return. I have not kept liquor in the house in about thirty-five years.

But maybe, just maybe, I CAN be some of those other parts Mom was. Regardless, our lives intertwined in so very many ways... And not to worry,if my memoir gets published, there will be copies available through my blog/website--whichever I have by then... probably both.

I would not be writing if it were not for having started this blog and having received so much encouragement. I'll just keep plugging away.

Perhaps I'll be the world's oldest ingenue!

Brian Miller said...

gosh what a story...i love that she showed you and that she got a letter...that is awesome...i havea heart for the homeless as i have often been one step...i hope you had a very merry christmas!