Boy, was I wrong!
Yet I know that writing those three entries completed the process I had to complete. I wrote them while my back was still getting worse, when all I could see before me were more hospital stays, more tests, and a wheelchair. I remembered a gentleman--a writer--who had to live in his wheelchair, who could no longer stand, tell me, "IF you have a choice, never choose a wheelchair. Never choose to sit down. Do it if and ONLY if there is no other choice. I was told that I would be in less pain if I used a wheelchair, and that I could probably accomplish more in my career if I stopped fighting it so much and so I CHOSE this. I CHOSE IT! Don't do it. Don't fear the pain; fear this chair, because it takes away a whole lot more than your ability to walk." I was just 28 when he told me that, but I hear him now. I see him. He told me what his life became and what organs in his body were affected beyond his own original physical problems.
So I wrote about the hospital and I reminded myself of what I endured so that I could have a shot at walking. I am walking still.
So I got out of my car and I stood very straight, and then I STRODE away from the car to a rock and sat there to look over the hills, at this beauty that can still make me cray. The hills dotted with every shade of green imaginable, punctuated by softened versions of autumn colors. Once again I was overwhelmed by so much color, so much beauty, and the knowledge that I am still here.
![]() |
| In case you need a reminder of pointillism and Seurat |
I've been coming back for about ten months, just a little bit at a time. Recovery is never smooth. Turning sixty helped; it set me free. Exercising and focusing on choosing to keep on standing, to keep on walking, to re-learn how to stand up straight; composing music in five part harmony for the first time in my life and rediscovering the joy of blending with other singers; occasionally blasting out a painting--all these things showed signs of life.
Still, today I sat on that rock and felt as I did when my dad brought me home from my nine weeks in a Boston Hospital and the colors were too much for me to bear. I have not died. I have a gravely damaged spine, but it will not kill me. It cannot touch my ability to appreciate the things that matter in my life: the people I love, the beauty of my surroundings, my ability to sing or paint or write, or my ability to laugh. I can find ways to show my friends--my family--that I love them. My spine cannot touch that. I sat on my rock and let the heartbreak, the losses, the pain all fly away across the hills, dissipating in the brightness of this day. Some of my dearest people truly are going through hell, but I realize it is important NOT to absorb their pain, to stay Jeannette. I can help and love and support, but I am not my friends. I am just one woman.
I live in a Seurat landscape and it is a magical place. For the first time in years, I feel as if all those colors have infused me to my core, and have driven the last bits of darkness out.
Enjoy the Spring.

15 comments:
This is lovely. Happy spring to you!
Thank you, Kathleen.
The spring can be a beautiful time of the year--I'm glad you are able to enjoy it this ye.ar despite the pain
Thanks, Sage. I think of it as getting the bleep OVER MYSELF and finally waking up. Realizing that my own internal emotional and physical angst garbage is gone, gone, gone.
And it is important not to be a martyr, getting caught in the cycle of feeling every crisis must be mine--to do that but STILL be there with the people I love who have far greater struggles right now than I do.
I can be of no use to anyone if I do NOT grab the moments to appreciate how beautiful it is this time of year, to stick to my Thursday nights of singing, to TAKE the days of "vacation," doing normal every-day things like going to a movie, going out for FUN.
It was good to have that moment and realize that I am fine. And just one little part in a kind overwhelmingly large world.
as I read this, I feel ashamed at my self-pity over my severe tendinitis that might put an end to my career as a massage therapist.
I am so glad for you that the darkness is pushed out for you.
Powerfully written, Jetty! I'm glad you went for that ride into the picture, and told us about it.
Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)
The question of choosing life - or an existence. And you have undeniably chosen life, with all its complexity, its beauty and its pain.
And I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that you have made that choice.
i am back at blogging after a month long break. catching up on my favourite blogs today. hope you are doing well. good to read you here.
I've been tying to e-mail you for the last couple of days, but I'm not able to get through to you. I hope you are OK.
I take heart in your courage. Why is it that bad things have to happen to us to really wake us up--stop and take stock--and realize that each moment is precious?
I just discovered your post, by linking in from that of Scriptor Senex.
I am reading this on the 4th of July, and your words really touched me. This is a day when we all can declare our independence -- and our interdependence.
Like you I have been going through a long period of reawakening. Some traumas (both physical and psychological) can leave us permanently scarred if we let them. And in my case, that's what I had been doing.
But as you say, I am still alive! I am here! It's time for me to turn my back on the bad things of the past and move into the future. I'm not quite sure what form it will take just yet, but I am moving on. Slowly but surely, I am in motion, and feeling happiness again, for the first time in a long long time.
So to you I say, thank you for sharing your story. And may all your days be filled with improvement. All the best to you always, Carol
well, I would go to you directly, Canadian Chickadee, to thank you, but I can't. So thank you anyway. The days are better now, though I have not blogged in so long. The posts I have worked on are more like my entries on the hospital stays--difficult and dark things I never wrote about fully. My daughter's leaving this world.
I will post them probably, but it is hard to write about it and harder to edit. But probably necessary because it IS hard.
I'm so sorry. I do hope things began to improve for you soon. Take care and God bless, and know that your bloggie buddies are thinking about you. xoxox Carol
This is a great post. Thanks for sharing this!
www.modernworld4.blogspot.com
satta king
play bazaar Kbhi khushi se khushi
ki taraf nhi dekha,
tumhare baad humne
kisi ki taraf nhi dekha.
Post a Comment