Accidental Spring

Accidental Spring
"Accidental Spring" This began as the background for painting other papers, but became something else!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

When I Awoke to the Notion of Being a Writer

Last week I unpacked a box that had my very first short story, written when I was in sixth grade. My mother had kept it. She didn't keep everything each of the four of us did; she kept the things that stood out.  "Rita" was the name of the story, and there was a picture of a dark-skinned girl with long dark braids and clothes that were too big for her. When I read it, a memory flooded back with such pain, that I had to stop.

Then I marveled at what I had done, and I remember that this was the year I thought I would be a writer. My first poem was there, too.

Loneliness
The old man walked out of his shack.
Surveying land and sky
He smiled.
A lone eagle circled into view,
Wheeling and soaring with joy.
It dove out of view.
The old man stood still for a moment.
Scanning the sky again,
He sighed.

And sighing again, he walked in.
(1964)


I remembered our teacher had assigned us to write as many different poems as we could in two weeks, and to include them in a booklet of poetry we liked. I thumbed through and found I had written seven more, but they were mostly an exercise in learning how to use a Thesaurus.  My teacher had written "Oh, my Jeannette. This is special" below that poem. And Mom had written "It is, honey" under that. She must have written that when she stored it away with my short story.

"Rita" was about two little girls in third grade. Our heroine, Annie, had befriended Rita when she entered school in November, wearing a thin skirt and blouse. She had no coat. Annie helped her when other kids laughed at her, worked with her on spelling and reading. Rita had trouble speaking English because she was from Mexico. Annie helped her all year, and gave her some of her own hand-me-down winter clothes because Rita's parents didn't have money. Rita moves away at the end of the story, and Annie says, "I always missed her after that. It was the one year where I wasn't lonely."

I had gotten an A+ for the story. No one ever asked me how I came up with such uncharacteristically somber stories, or questioned whether I was sad or anything.  But that story struck home, and to this day I remember vividly the true story... Susan Hoyt was the new girl. And it was, in fact third grade.

***
She stood in front of the whole class that November day, with Mrs. E telling us we all should feel sorry for Susan because she had foster parents whom she would talk to and set straight about sending her in with proper clothes.

"Now, Susan lift up your head and for Heaven's sake, get your hair out of your face." She got a barrette out of her desk and, not particularly gently,  fastened Susan's bangs out of her face. So now, Susan not only had on a very large puff sleeved blouse untucked, with a skirt that had slid to her hips, but she also had a wing of uneven hair sticking straight out of the left side of her head. The class giggled, but stopped with one look from Mrs. E.

I swear Mrs. E could have stopped a police car in the middle of a chase with that look.

"You know how it goes. I need a buddy to stay with Susan for lunch. Someone she can get along with. Jeannette, you seem a good match."  Mrs. E did not like me, and not many kids did, either. I didn't fit in anywhere, but mostly it was okay. Except when she had weighed me on a cattle scale with G.  We were so big, she said, it's what we should be weighed on. In front of the whole class.

That had backfired, though, because three girls thought that was so mean, they actually started hanging out with me again. They had in first and second grades, but in third grade, when I got kind of big, and mostly I didn't have clothes like them sometimes, they stayed away. But not now. Now they remembered I'd been their friend before, and they would play with me sometimes. The only girl who never deserted me was Paige and she and I played lots of times.

Still, sometimes at school--well, I knew what it was like a little bit for Susan. I didn't really mind being her buddy.  That was the beginning of a relationship that stayed with me the rest of my life. Susan was from Kentucky and her English was very odd. She hesitated when she spoke, and kind of hunkered down when she talked to adults, like dogs do when they are not used to people. I got assigned to work with her for spelling, for reading, and for arithmetic. I think it mostly got me out of Mrs. E's sight and she liked that.

I know she didn't like me because even though I got good grades she always wrote things like, "Jeannette just doesn't seem to play with the girls properly. She plays with the boys, playing kick ball instead of jump rope."  or "Jeannette must remember she cannot be the leader for everything. She must learn her place." Huh???

My mother didn't care for the comments and told me not to pay attention to them and just be myself. That was okay by me.

So Susan and I would work in the back of the room for the last hour or hour and a half of every day. It kind of made me mad sometimes because that was when we had art or music, so we missed it. After a few weeks, though, something changed and I decided that Susan and I were sisters at the soul.

My mom and Paige's mom had put together winter clothes for Susan and they FIT. Her foster parents, which my mom told me were parents that the government assigned for children who were alone, did not buy her anything it looked like. And along the way, five moms sent lunches in with their kids, for Susan, one for each day of school. Susan took to smiling sometimes and she was kind of pretty. I was jealous of her thinness, but one day she told me SHE wished she wasn't so thin. She never said more than a sentence at a time. It was too scary, I guess, but I wasn't sure why.

Until one day.

We were working on a story about a big brother being mean to his little sister and how he had to learn to be nice. After the usual struggle to learn the words, I had Susan read it aloud one more time and she did it perfectly. At the end it said, "And Timmy gave the puppy, his very favorite puppy, to Mary and said, 'Here, I think you should have this one,' and was never a bully to her again."

Susan started to laugh a little. I looked up at her quickly. "He wouln' do thet." And she gave a short, bitter laugh. I said, under my breath, "no kidding." We looked at each other straight in the eyes for the first time, sort of wide-eyed, like deer, and we both laughed until Mrs. E told us to shush.

And I began to pay attention to her more. Things were easier between us and we would joke once in a while, even.  Kids stopped picking on her. They ignored her, but, as I told her, "That's way better than when they notice we're different, you know? First they get used to you, and don't worry, eventually most of them get nicer."

About two weeks after that first story, we were deep into arithmetic. I was trying to show her the fast way to understand how to know the answer to her 9 + table, when the door opened with that nearly silent motion of air that said someone was sneaking in. Susan and I both jumped and turned to the door at the same time. Susan dumped her book on the floor.

Our principle said, "Girls. It's just me, for  Heaven's sake. I didn't want to disturb the class, but I guess it didn't work."

Everyone laughed but us. That's when I knew it. Neither of us liked that sound, the barest click as the latch button went into its part of the door, and that minute when the air enters just before trouble. Susan looked down and she was shaking.

I wasn't shaking on the outside and I just said, "no, Susan, it's safe here." She looked up at me and smiled and I smiled back, but I was sad. Sadder than when she'd stood in front of the class. Sadder than when the kids had teased her on the playground and Paige and I had brought her over with us to play our imaginary dinosaurs game, far away from the crowd. Sadder than when I realized she never had lunch.

When I went home that day and up to my room, I saw that the pull lock I'd put there had been taken off again. I sighed and went to see how Mom was. She was in her chair, half asleep, the glass of golden liquid on her side table. Dinner would be inedible again. "Is Daddy coming home?" I asked.

"No. He's away on business again." Right. That accounted for her, although sometimes it seemed as if there was no accounting for Mom.

Jean Ellen was at college, so I had my room to myself. A couple of my friends would say how lucky I was because they had to share with their baby sisters. Lucky. I guess.

Jack was as sad as I was at dinner and we looked at each other, lost. Mom had burned dinner but we always had to eat it anyway because "food didn't grow on trees." I think that year it may have been starving kids in Biafra, but I am not sure. I managed to avoid going to bed for a whole half an hour past my bedtime, but bedtime came.

About an hour after I was in bed, eyes wide open, the tears filled my eyes and I wondered if Susan was thinking of me, too, as I heard the too-quiet sound of the door opening, and felt the air attack me just before Jim did.

***
Susan moved away that year. My mom told me that she had been put with other parents because she had been hurt in that house. She sputtered about how anyone could hurt a child, and I remember just getting up and walking away.

By summer of that year I had forgotten all about opening doors. My sister came home. And the following year, for some reason, I took to taking a steak knife to bed with me, but I had blocked out the why of it all. For a long time, that door did not open again unless I opened it.  Which was pretty much the case for my memories of that year at home. I remembered only what I chose.

And in sixth grade I poured out the harmless part of the memory, but kept the loneliness I felt that was visceral and always there. It truly was the time when I decided I simply had to write. I had to. And I never stopped.

What about you? 

Was there a pivotal moment you turned to your art to express something deep inside? Was it a sparklingly beautiful time? That would be wonderful to read about.  I do not assume one has to suffer to write or paint or sing or dance or ANYTHING. But it was my moment.

I don't jump at the too small sounds of life any more, though. For which I am grateful beyond all words.

26 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The secrets of childhood are often too sad for words, aren't they?

Numinosity said...

Your story, so poignant and heartrending because I know you personally yet removed by years and what seemed to be a generation apart from my young girl perspective. How could I have ever begun to understand what life was really like when you were hanging out with my big sister.
She may well have been one of your friends that bemoaned having to share a room with her little sister.
You have moved me with your words and linked me to the reality of your history. Never could I imagine that someone I knew had to endure such treatment.
You express it brilliantly and sadly all too many can identify with you experience.
I'll be expecting to be reading you in the Sun magazine
one day.You amaze me with your journey.
Thanks xoxo Kim

JeannetteLS said...

Oddly enough, Kim, it wasn't your sister. She never complained about ANYTHING, practically. Certainly not about you. I think there were enough years between you so that there wasn't competition and such. That was the case with my older sister, too.

I've needed to introduce the truth somewhere in here, and be a bit clearer than hinting, but not graphic. For me, Debra and Kim, the parts I care the most about are the gifts I was given to cope. There is a world of horror, but I need to be careful of and with that.

Most people can fill in the blanks. And just because the catalyst for my writing was pain, nowadays, often the catalyst is magic! Much of my childhood was joyful and the stories about the Lake are just as real and as joyful as other stories are dark and sad. THAT is what I never want to lose sight of.

But, yes, Debra, the secrets need a delicate touch in a public venue, especially. They don't touch me much any more--at least they have no power to hurt me now. And I never did it alone--THAT is the point in my writing.

Kim, your comment just blew me away. Still there is that voice in me that goes, "You'll never be a REAL writer." As if making my living writing was not real? As if not being published means that I am not a real writer? I hope one day I WILL be published in Sun magazine. Another blogger got me hooked on that magazine.

Dave King said...

I'm impressed. Your first attempt at a poem does not read like a first attempt - and certainly not in the way that mine do. There is a maturity about yours.

JeannetteLS said...

I think my teacher deserves some credit for the level of the attempts by all of us, as I recall. We'd spent a month talking about meter, rhyme, free verse, blank verse, sonnets, haiku. And she would talk about how to evoke a season without ever mentioning it. Something about that felt like a call to arms for me inside. Evoke something without telling.

BINGO! I wrote dozens of Haiku for fun, at home. THEN I wrote about the man in the shack. I felt lonely. So I could write about something else and let out the loneliness without saying I felt lonely.

And there was the fact that I grew up really early. I suppose there is that, too. But my teacher loved poetry so she lingered there and integrated spelling and studying a foreign country in there, too!

Fickle Cattle said...

I love the poem. It reads like something a 40 year old would write, not someone in sixth grade.

Fickle Cattle
ficklecattle.blogspot.com

JeannetteLS said...

Thanks Fickle... In some ways I WAS 40 by sixth grade, but poetry was and still is something I turn to to comfort myself or to release something for which I haven't the "normal" words. Thank you for visiting and commenting.

Carl said...

My artistic journey...
I am calling how I found my calling for photography and painting as pre-destined serendipity. I am aware that is an oxymoron, but that is who I look at it.
Both of my parents are artistic. When I was a kid my mom was an oil painter and my dad worked in photolabs. I was always around art and knew at some level I would be an artist one day. I did not know what form that would take. I would say things like when I grow up I will make candles on Cape Cod or be a potter in Maine. I always chose these because I like New England and I loved ceramics etc. I did not feel my drawing or painting skills were there to make a life that way. I also always hiked and had a camera with me. My camera at the time was a Canon rangefinder 35mm. Mostly i worked on composition and had no idea how or why some exposures were good and others bad, but I got my fair share of lucky, good shots. The serendipity came into play when I dropped French class at the start of 11th grade. I wanted to just add an extra study hall as I was a typical lazy teenager. My guidance counselor managed to get me a space in a full photography class. When i discovered the world of control I had over my photography and started to get a handle on what i was doing I was hooked and have been ever since. I dable in many media, including painting. I am actually a pretty fair watercolorist. But my main art and calling is photography. I have been learning and honing my skills for nearly thirty years. So thank you to my old French teacher who signed off on me dropping her class.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

I marvel at your strength in writing these memories down. Sometimes that's the hardest part but obviously healing and enlightening.(does that mean one feels lighter?) I am ever so grateful that I had a decent childhood and seemed to have experienced life as a child should.
I lost my sister in August but hold so many sweet memories of our young years together. Your writing is very inviting. Thanks.

JeannetteLS said...

Oh, Carl, thank you so much for addressing my question at the end. I don't see anything at all odd in "pre-destined serendipity." Sometimes I think of mine as "coerced serendipity." When I really couldn't DO anything else, I took my two art forms more seriously!

I hope others who read this will respond to that question, too. I love your story. (Your work, too, but I usually save that for your blog! that's artistic balance, folks!)

JeannetteLS said...

Kerry, first THANK YOU for stopping by. And I see the Wind in the Willows critters right there. You are so right about writing the harsh memories. My hope is that I will find ways to touch on that darkness without spending pages and pages on it, because the BALANCE in my life really was that the good stuff was JUST as enormous and out of the norm, but also far more often.

I never want to, in my memoir give too much space OR weight to the traumas. YES, there were many and from more than one direction, but they were never every day, and sometimes there were MONTHS with only beauty, and I could be restored.

But my story is not complete without that darkness. Here, after doing the work of revisiting--more like reliving--I began to see what I was able to do with the pain I was not allowed to address to anyone, to which no one would listen. That first poem, while I AM myself shocked that I could do such a poem at age 11, realize, well, I had already had an awful lot of life jammed into those years.

I do not look at that time much, OR the horrible occurrences. I look at the creative tools I was given and took up... Eagerly, often.

Thanks again

40 inc said...

So much figuring out to do in life, blessings and tribulations. I have always found it's the dark times that had the most impact on shaping my character. I blog about life and relationships,it's theraputic and satisfying to pay it forward. You're blog is lovely and very touching. Think I may follow :) come check out mine and maybe watch my progress over time...I'm only 2 weeks in :)

http:/fortygoodreasons.blogspot.com

those reasons being one for every year I have been blessed to learn the lessons.

40 inc said...

uh oh,one of the worst spelling mistake ever in my comment...your/you're. My pet peeve, my apologies!

JeannetteLS said...

Thanks 40 Inc. I will undoubtedly visit soon, with pleasure. I used to think it was only the negative and what I did with it that formed me, but I know differently now. It was also who my mom was sober, who my dad was when he was around, the best big sister on the planet, a brother who protected me from the other brother... many things that were sweet and powerful. But that's me, and that's after a life that had far too little gray and pastel in it! Jungle all the way--lush, rotting, nothing in between!

JeannetteLS said...

PS, 40... good thing you fixed the typo. BOTH my parents might have come down from above (or wherever their essence flew) and pounced! When I do something like there vs their or they're and hit send or publish, I want to simply shrink. As if anyone in this community truly cares, right?

Ruth said...

So painful, Jeannette. I am so sorry for what you experienced.

I had pain, but not like this. Mine did lead to writing. When I discovered poetry, I used it to process a major change in my life. It was the tool, condensing a lifetime of frustration into small morsels of what felt like therapy.

Thank you for sharing, and for writing so beautifully.

Bruce Coltin said...

I have not read this post yet. I will get to it when I have a quiet moment and a glass of red wine. As for the comment you left on my blog, I do not think I will publish it, but rather keep it as a love letter.

Sextant said...

Jeannette,

I ran into you over at Jo's Majority of Two and liked what you said.

This is the first time I have visited your blog. My God! I suffered through a childhood of an alcoholic father and a fight him to hell and back mother. I witnessed many things in my childhood that I wish I could forget or alter but my childhood pales in comparison to yours. You had me in tears with this post. OK, I got MS and tears are bid easily, but none the less, you had me in tears.

I can't comment on your poem, poetry is a lost art on me. My mind seems to have a switch in it.... Incoming poetry! Shields up! Shut down intellect! Go into slug mode!

I would like to read your short story. Why don't post it?

This was a very sad but touching post. You are a fine writer, and I am compelled to follow your blog. Your courage to post these memories here is just incredible.

JeannetteLS said...

Bruce--I understand about the comment. Absolutely. I had several friends in dire straits this month and whipped out my book of dances. I tried a couple but my left leg would not move and I kept clumping around in a circle. I wonder whether intent counts. I nearly put out a bulletin for you and your wife to pull out the dancing shoes again, but I guess intent counted. I did not think this entry would hit as hard as it did.

Sextant-- Thank you for your comments. I thought of publishing Rita, but there was something private there, something I choose to keep just for me. So I won't. The poem stunned me because it was lightyears ahead of where I think of myself as being back then.

As for courage to post the memories? If you read some other entries you will see that I have done all the work to remove the power from those memories--the power to wound me. As I craft the memoir, I want to touch on them, not relive them. A few will be described because they are so far out of the "norm?" Is there "Norm" for abuse? But ONLY if there is something that came OUT of that particular memory that showed the gifts I was given to cope.

My goal, Sextant is to learn to touch on them, to imply them. To give as little detail as is necessary, so readers will feel the pain of the little girl, but not dwell on it.

I am one of the lucky ones, truly. I had Jack to protect me, though, his crown got kinda knocked off with one lone drunken episode. The harm wound up being to him more than me. I had a sister of magic. I had a mother who, when not haunted by her own demons and psychosis and liquor, was a force of huge love, grace, warmth, and outright magic. And my dad was more affectionate than most and very tender with me.

I had many lifelines thrown to me along the way and I GRABBED them.

THAT is the point for me. To look at what I was GIVEN more than what I "endured." Enough. For now, at least.

Brian Miller said...

this was so cool to read...first one that told me i could write was darlene calahan my english teacher in HS...i had a whole notebook of short stories by then but she was the first to really read them...actually i did not start writing poetry until 2 years ago when a blog commentor challenged me to...

Square Peg Guy said...

I stopped by to thank you for visiting my blog and commenting on my Shadow Shot.

Then I read this post. Wow.

It's hard to reply, since the content leaves me with several thoughts whirling about at once.

Either I can't think of a pivotal moment, or I don't want to. I think I was born to be creative, just as one might be motivated to do gardening, or another devote to travel. There was a car crash that motivated me to explore the ineffable, and that might have fueled my creativity.

Clearly, tonight my spigot of creativity is clogged. ;)

Peace

JeannetteLS said...

I follow your blog, in fact, Square Peg. And, I mean, Mr. Potato Head? I gotta follow a blog with a Mr. Potato Head pic. Plus, you are an engineer, and I wrote for Stanford for eight years, so there you are. Thank YOU for reading my blog and commenting as well. Of course, the car crash comment makes me curious... Take care.

Cheryl Cato said...

Jeannette, thank you for stopping by my little space in blog-land (Lizzy Frizzfrock). I'm happy Delwyn at "a hazy moon" has chosen to return to us in that format. She & I keep up with one another through snail mail.

I am impressed by the maturity you show in both your poem and short story. Loneliness seems to be a part of life in our formative years. I too struggled with being ostracized in school and never had friends until high school.
The bad times are indelibly etched in my mind. I wonder if I deserved the actions I received from my fellow students. Somehow I don't think I did, but it could be something I just put out of my mind. I can't seem to put away the names that were attached to me; I've never understood where the names came from but they were hurtful even though in and of themselves they are just silly words. I can write about this in short bursts (like now), but have never been able to fully write about my childhood.

JeannetteLS said...

Cheryl, I think writing about my childhood has only happened because I went through the years-long process of facing it and putting things "to rest." I cannot write well about things as they foment, except in poetry sometimes.

NO child deserves to be bullied and harrassed, period. Writing now about childhood, about my family, I can do because I had so much else that was given me beyond the horrors and abuse at home, and the bullying at school. When I looked at the wonders given to me, I could see fully why I survived and why I do not feel disconnected or wary of the world or life.

Would that I could say, well, I just pulled up my bootstraps and just moved forward. BULL. I WAS a child who was perpetually ready for beauty and something in me seemed to feel that looking for it would save me--but it was there for the looking!

Thank you for visiting. Delwyn is a gift of beauty in her work. Snail mail's a GOOD thing I think! See you at your blog as well.

Marylinn Kelly said...

While I always knew of the abuse that occurred in my childhood, its impact on my life and my choices was not anything I thought about until I was nearly 40. In the 1980s one was helped to 'recover' from such abuse through a process that demanded re-traumatization. I believe they do it differently now. It was barbaric and did not promote healing.

But before that happened, I discovered a fiction workshop - I had never written fiction, I had been a journalist, a copywriter, a publicist. It felt like channeling, as though I was the fingers on the keys of the Selectric, the stories came from elsewhere. I am just now trying to return to fiction - a flash fiction project to help a charity in Harlem, blog sponsored. We'll see. I have always, since I was quite young, had art and craft, the joy of them in the doing and in having handmade gifts to give. I never consciously connected any of my creative work to any of my trauma. It was a long, white-knuckle ride. I feel I am growing into my gifts a day at a time, an essay or drawing at a time, and recognizing them as the companions they have been for so long.

I am unable or unwilling to write of some segments of my past. If that changes...and if not, I still have other things to say, more from the brighter side of the road. I'm still here. As are you. My best, xoxo

JeannetteLS said...

thank you so much, Marylinn, for your voice. Re-traumatization, thank goodness was not my therapist's approach in the 1980's. I had flashbacks in her presence, but she never, EVER strove to bring one on for me. She simply tried her best to give me the tools to deal with them and turn them into simple memory.

I was lucky in stumbling--almost literally--on her when I simply knew I needed help. She was as gentle a soul as I could have hoped for, but she also made me look at where I was running myself into an early grave, thank GOD or whatever.

Fingers on the keys of a Selectric... oh, today's under-forty-fivers haven't a CLUE what that is. Or maybe it's under fifty. The SOUND.

Never mind. As I said in my email, yes, we ARE here, unsilenced.