Accidental Spring

Accidental Spring
"Accidental Spring" This began as the background for painting other papers, but became something else!

Friday, February 10, 2012

Pneumonia and the Safest Place

Betweet 2000 and the end of 2001, my friend who is like a sister to me, and who had two very small children, was struck with kidney failure several times and fought to keep her life. I lived half the time at my house and half at hers. My sister and I had decided to hang onto our home in case G died, which she nearly did six times in a year and a half. We knew we might be raising two children because, by his own admission, C was no kind of a father to raise kids alone. Then my minister, a friend who had helped me through my husband's desertion and daughter's death, whose wife was a dear friend, hanged himself. And my brother was diagnosed with terminal liver disease one month before his older son hanged himself. Then Jack died. Then my voice teacher and choir director and friend of ten years died.

It was not a good eighteen months.

And at the end of that time (G is STILL with us), my women had an inkling that I would fail if I did not get the hell out of Dodge for a bit. So Nancy, who was going to take a professional photography course in Santa Fe, consulted with my sister about sending me with her. They colluded, this bunch. And for Christmas of 2001, I had a ticket to Santa Fe and a hotel to stay in and ten days to call my own!

Perfect. And it was. Only on the plane ride home, I contracted an odd strain of bacterial pneumonia. Four days after I was home, my fever spiked and I was terribly, terribly ill. I saw the doctor and he gave me two choices. "The hospital today, or you do absolutely NOTHING for the next three days, let other people take care of you, do your breathing treatments religiously and find some way to keep your breathing deep and even. I will see you then, and if you are better, you may continue that way. 2/10ths of a degree higher temperature, you are in the hospital. And do NOT lie down to sleep at night."

Painting My Way Home
I painted. I remembered, in my counseling, yes, I DID do visualizing when the flashbacks started to come. I learned to keep them from coming by a strong, strong visualization of the safest, most serene spot I could imagine. I had two. One was at Sandy Hook, New Jersey. I gave that painting away. The other, my fifth painting ever, is this. I am sorry about the reflection. I gave it to my sister when she was having a particularly rough time two years later. I worked on this every day, played Handel's Watermusik in the background and focused on breathing. It is just watercolor. I surrounded myself with New Hampshire pictures. Water. Granite. Pine. Mountains. The Flume. The Basin. Roadside rushing water. The Lake. You name it. At the other end of the room I did the same with pictures from my Runaways to Red Bank. Nothing but Sandy Hook, West Long Branch, the ocean, rocks. sand. I would move back and forth between paintings, then the couch, paintings, the couch, for about eight or ten hours. I had a gallon of ice water there as well, and a cooler with more ice.

By Still Waters, Peace
From this painting everything else has sprung. I am a woman of granite and water. Mad rushing water has smoothed my edges. Pools of calm reflect the colors of ages. I am a woman of pine and birch, of seasons and extremes, of dark and light. (Well, and I'm just plain nuts to boot, lest you think I've gone all mythical mystic goddess on you.) Northern writers have just as many layers as the southern writers do. It took me until I was about forty-five to know that for sure.

I guess I'm blogging more than I thought I would. Oh, well. Here is the mother painting for me. Again, apologies for the reflection's muted color and lines, but perhaps you can get the feel of it. Oh. I finished both in nine days. On the tenth I rested! No hospital. I was very close to well.

And whenever I look at this painting I seem to automatically breathe more deeply, and I disappear there to rest.



40 comments:

Sextant said...

Beautiful painting. Indeed 18 months of hell. There was a line in my wife's soap opera something about, when happiness knocks, pull out a chair and ask him to stay a while. Happiness hasn't taken up residence with you in the past, I hope the present and the future make up for that.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Clearly it is a healing painting in so many ways.

JeannetteLS said...

Ah, Sextant, you would be surprised at how happy I HAVE been at times, but perhaps you're right. It kind of visited, mostly, in two hour respites. That's okay. I DO think happier times are already here. Thank you.

Yup, it was a healing painting, Debra. And I ALWAYS see the spots I want to go in and "fix." The real painting is deeper, with more contrast in the colors. I didn't want to have to take it out of its frame. And my monitor shows it with a little bit of a violet cast in spots, where there is none in the original.

But its okay. It looks a bit better when you click on the image and see it larger, but the original has far more depth to it.

erin said...

jeannette, where i walk and run is very similar to this place, albeit, i am sure a whole lot colder. i can imagine how being inside of a scene like this (even if only in your head and when i say only i don't mean it) brings healing. your rendering is gorgeous.

what i am struck by is just how much pain and suffering there is in the world. it is staggering and you seem to have had more than your fair share (not that fairness exists) but for as long as i have read you you have struck me as a joyous person. and then it strikes me just now, this very poignant point, that suffering and joy are not mutually exclusive.

xo
erin

Elephant's Child said...

That is so beautiful. On my bedroom wall hangs a watercolour of a creek trickling into a pool deep in a forest. Anytime I stop and look at that paining I can feel my breathing slow and the knots in my mind release. It is such a healing place for me so I understand how you work was and is healing for you. (I only went into the gallery because I was cold and needed to warm myself. I fell in love and have never regreted it.)

JeannetteLS said...

Kat--I've never seen anything that you need be embarrassed by, for heaven's sake! I love your blog. Thank you so much.

Erin--I always picture the water as icy cold, even though the sun is so clearly shining! And I've always felt that pain and joy had to be in the same life. Thank you. I am often surprisingly joyous--and I try not to figure out why and just go with it. If my brain gets into something like that, I'll LOSE the joy! Pathetic, I know.

Sometimes I sense you and I have a connection somewhere.

E.C.--Speaking of connections. Really? You do? There is something about coming out of a pine forest, and hitting upon a stream that just does it for me entirely. Thank you for always taking the time to let me know you were here.

EcoGrrl said...

Ive been inspired by you to document recollections on my own blog...this is what happens when you share, my dear -friends you inspire, you create food for thought. I am grateful for your words.

Scriptor Senex said...

Injust cannot imagine what that eighteen months must have felt like and how it must impact even now.

Ther painting has real atmosphere and I can see why you breathe deeply and go to your quiet place.

I have a painting that I did in pastel of my children by a riverside. In our old house I had it on the wall for long time and used to 'go there' to calm down or cool off. Even though our current house has very little usable wall space I must hunt it out of the loft and find a place for it.

Shrinky said...

What fires you have walked through, dear Jeannette, I can only imagine. I do believe those who survive the wounds of a troubled past, do atain a far greater empathy and compassion for those who are around them. Your grace and dignity serves to prove my theory well.

I love the story behind this beautiful painting of yours, and yes, it has many depths and layers, much like it's creator.

Ruth said...

What amazing powers in you and in your painting for you, and me. I see that your strength will never easily be broken, thankfully.

Sage said...

I think I now understand a bit about your comment on uncomfortable similarities between us that you made on my blog. Wow! That's a lot of pain to deal with and to come so close together. What a nice gift from your sisters (and even that ended up with pneumonia). You are a strong woman and have endured much.

the walking man said...

Enjoy my peaceful place Jeannette

JeannetteLS said...

Thanks so much, EcoGrrl.

S.S.-- I hope you find your picture. I looked at mine a whole lot the last three years before I moved, as well.

Shrinky--Don't know what to say... you've stuck by me here for most of the three years I've had my blog. I am grateful more than my followers may know.

Ruth--I think that once I lost my daughter, and surprised myself by going on, it was the measure by which all other troubles were compared. And a different strength was born. I am a lucky, lucky woman.

Sage--My sisters in this life are MIGHTY. They help me find my strength.

Walking Man--Bach!! YES. Already listened to it. Watermusik was my comfort music when my husband left me suddenly, back in '92. Every time I felt the confusion and panic, I listened. When I wanted to scream, I listened. It was sort of Pavlovian for me to respond to it by simply breathing and calming down. That was before I painted, too!

Kass said...

What strikes me about this painting is the piercing of the tree (is it an Aspen?)into the scene. So interesting that you would choose to include this in the dreamy atmosphere. Perhaps it's the pain, muted and softened by beauty. It leans, intrudes. It has its beauty. It's part of nature. Nature can be brutal and unforgiving.

Are we?

Bravo.

Brian Miller said...

you def walked through it during those 18 months...love the painting and what it represents to you as well...the rushing water and the granite...not a bad combination...smiles.

JeannetteLS said...

Ah, Kass. There is a difference in how we see this. It's a birch, which shows much more clearly in the original. I didn't feel like playing with PhotoShop to get the contrasts back. I have a history--birches lean over the water, allowing me to sit on them if I want. That's my experience. At the Lake we had two giant, leaning birches that framed the picture I wanted to see! My birch is the interior, sheltering frame. It is the rocks and pool closest to the forground that I disappear into. The endless beyond is there, but I am partly protected so that I can rest. It is not a piercing for me.

Brian--Water and granite. Nope, not a bad thing to be at all. Especially when warmed by the sun. Smiling back.

ellen said...

What a painful time for you Jeannette. And what a great way of healing - nature, painting and music in combination. Inspiring.

Jo said...

"Painting my way home". I LOVE that...! It says it all. You are a wonderful writer and a wonderful painter. I'm so glad you are able to express yourself. I haven't painted in a while, and I should start again. It's very therapeutic, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Interesting to me that I took a very unscheduled ride out to Sandy Hook this morning..just to "look," as I sometimes do..but usu not in the rain. ~Mary

Friko said...

You crawled inside yourself and healed yourself.
This is a wonderful story, in spite of its disastrous beginning.

You are (must be) a very tough lady, I salute you!

Wander said...

Thank you for joining, I love your painting...good art!

Wander

Dave King said...

I can't get over this painting. It's stunning. I give it the ultimate accolade: I wish I had painted it! Wonderful. I'd say you made it home in that achievement.

Dr Zibbs said...

That's pretty good. (And found your blog through Pearl's)

ds said...

Your painting is lovely, your story profound. Granite and water--yes, I think they do describe you very well: so very strong and so very creative. Thank you, Jeannette.

Joanna Jenkins said...

You are a very talented painter. It's wonderful you had the strength to paint such an inspiring picture at such a difficult time.
xo jj

JeannetteLS said...

Ellen, thank you. I do not know how I would have made it through my life without art, writing, and music--each has held primary importance for me at different times.

Jo, HI! It IS therapeutic to paint. I wish I had not waited so long to do it for real. I hope you DO begin again. If your art approaches your writing, you have a talent it would be a darned shame to lay fallow forever!

Nary--Aha! I painted a sand bar that hooks around, on the bay side. I bet you know it--may be gone with some of the storms of late...

Friko--Thanks. I don't feel very tough, but resilient, yup. I appreciate your comments so much.

Wander--your site is an adventure. And I appreciate your comment, thanks.

Dave--Wow. I don't know what to say. I am glad you feel that way about it. And I still feel I've gone home when I look at it.

Dr. Z--Well. Thank you for stopping by. Pearl's blog is a favorite blog stop for me.

ds--Thank you so much, ds. And you are welcome.

Joanna--I think that painting was what GAVE me strength during that time. I had many, many breaks in the process, but gradually I simply breathed better and found the strength.

James Owens said...

As Seamus Heaney writes, "The end of art is peace."

the painting is beautiful. isn't it strange how landscape, sometimes, doesn't make another place present, so much as restoring another time into the present?

Jayne said...

That which does not kill us...

And you demonstrate that so beautifully here. Jeannette, I came to you through Ecogrrl, but I've seen your smiling face elsewhere, as well. So glad I stopped by today.

This--I am a woman of granite and water. Mad rushing water has smoothed my edges. Pools of calm reflect the colors of ages. I am a woman of pine and birch, of seasons and extremes, of dark and light. --spoke to me.

Layered northern writers--yes, I'd like to think so. I'm one of them after all. And I know your Sandy Neck, but I NH's beauty even more so. We have much that inspires up here. Beautiful painting!

JeannetteLS said...

James--thanks. "landscape, sometimes, doesn't make another place present, so much as restoring another time into the present" Those words hit home to me. I wrote them down because I had never thought of that before--not that way.

Jayne--thank you for visiting and following as well. And I've seen your face, too! This particular blogging community has wonderful overlaps in it. I AM more of a New Hampshire or Vermont woman. I write about it a lot and you are so right. There is a world of inspiration in our mountains and lakes, and in the granite wallss and sudden streams.

Timoteo said...

Fascinating reading. Sounds like things gotta even out--they must by the law of averages--so it would seem you've got some good things coming your way.
Glad I stumbled upon you too...(now I shall try to walk upright for a while!)

Lori said...

Your painting is beautiful. You can feel peace eminating from your brush strokes and your keystrokes. I am glad I found you blog. People should put their guns down and pick up paint brushes, lol. I know, that will never happen, but one can dream.. Peace...

Wine and Words said...

I wish I could paint. I see things that cannot be explained in words. At times I write things that could not be understood in pictures. It is nice that the artist and the writer need each other. What a blessing to have both live within yourself!

Brian Miller said...

thank you friend...smiles....

JeannetteLS said...

I was busy painting and only touched base with my computer, but...

Thank you for the optimism. Things are much more even for now, Timeo. MUCH. I do not, however, tend to run with counting on the law of averages.

Lori, peace IS exactly what I wanted to paint, thanks. ANd we can BOTH dream.

W & W. I am VERY lucky to be able to even occasionally be able to paint the pictures that live in my head--you are so right. I see things for which I have no real words.

The painting I have nearly completed is an abstract--an impression of and October blizzard. Snow on New England foliage. MASSES of leaves and limbs with snow.

And Brian. Always a pleasure to read your poetry and to find the words to convey how I feel. A man who loves his family "outloud." It is a joy to see.

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh Lord! You are a survivor, and you are strong!
Many blessings for this day and the days ahead. I know all these trials have carved a strong heart in that chest of yours.

musicwithinyou said...

The painting makes you feel you are right there. You captured the moment beautifully. My mother and brother are both water color artist. I use to draw back in 3rd grade but decided I wanted to play the piano more then paint.

:)) Liz

JeannetteLS said...

Rosaria, thank you. I guess I AM strong, though this past week I did not FEEL that way. As always, thank you for coming back and for your ongoing support of everything I do.

Liz, wow. Your story hit a nerve. I decided the same thing because my sister, I decided, was "the artist." I moved toward music and acting until I was in college and realized that my heart remained with literature and writing. Even after college I didn't try, eventually finding a way to earn my living through the written word. Only in my forties did I take it up again, and only in the last four years have I truly begun to develop a style and a voice of my own!

Laurie Kolp said...

I love it! What an encouraging story, Jeannette. It seems the painting kept you focused on breathing and getting well. I'm surprised you had the strength. My daughter was hospitalized with pneumonia when she was only 5... over Christmas. It was a hard year on us all.

I'm looking forward to following your blog, too.

JeannetteLS said...

Ah, Laurie. Anything seemed better than going to the hospital. I'd had enough of hospitals. I was hospitalized with pneumonia at five, too! I can imagine how is was for my parents. CHRISTMAS???

Thank you so much for your kind words. AND for following.

Sattakingin said...

jab usne mujhse kha ki
mai tumhe chhod sakti hoon,
par apne ma/baap ko nhi. satta king