My aunt designed and had built a wondrous home at the Cape, to which my sister, my best friend G, and I would run for a joint birthday celebration of G's and mine. Joy was a gourmet cook and would make us fabulous meals. She was estranged from her daughter and I was the surrogate. Or so she said.
You know what? For now I will cut to the chase. Four years after I was married, she called one day and told us Jack's "Ship had come in." He was a brilliant man--ultimately part of the group that invented the early voice recognition for telephones. A computer scientist who put himself through school playing, as he called it "cocktail hour piano." He relocated from his position for ITT (Then) International to form his own research company and he said that he had sold at long last, one of his patents. Joy was ecstatic and immediately they called me and told me that I would never have to worry about Mark's and my kids' education again. They had a big dinner for all four of us kids and our children to tell us they were setting up college funds for the kids and were giving every adult in the group an income GIFT of $10k a year! To us, it was something.
And if I could not trust my surrogate parents, the aunt who had been there for me during my twenties, when my mom's drinking had overtaken her more than half the time, well...
And they called me especially, telling me that they were sending me fifteen thousand dollars to get a GOOD CAR and pay for the added auto insurance, title fees, etc. The check did not come, but they insisted there were glitches. In the meantime, I called G, who was newly out of law school, that she should plan on a vacation.
![]() |
| One of G's shots related to where this ramble's headed |
Finally, Jack called and said, "I just mailed the check. Why don't you get the car."
Mark said, "Honey. Let's go get that car you picked out and just take the loan and pay it off in a few days. It's the only one on the lot."
We got it. It was the color of my skin when I got a tan. Back then I had only lately given up tanning...
I called Joy and told her, then drove to my folks' house later in the day so that they could see I no longer had the breakdown king of cars. The phone rang. My dad got off the phone.
"It was a lie. Jack was picked up by the police, drunk, trying to buy a gun and shoot himself. He didn't sell a thing. He refinanced their paid for house and made it look like they were rich. He is penniless."
And I had a car we could not pay for.
There is far more to that story, but that is enough. My parents helped us out. And my husband said that we would FIND THE MONEY and to just go on vacation. We had lately found out that my dad was dying...
![]() |
| part of the image G gave me for my wall |
When we got home, of course, all hell broke loose for year after year after year, it seemed.
But along the way, I wrote poetry. I do not say it was good poetry, but it helped me. And one night I dreamed an image, and the next day wrote a poem so that I would not forget.
![]() |
| The other shot she took |
Dream Witch of Holderness
In the mist, a castle-cottage
Rising silent from the water
Like the Loch Ness Monster --
You startle.
Un-turreted, but towering;
Alone, on small island nestled,
Where no safe harbor welcomes --
Only rocks.
Does your dock draw up at night?
Does your long-necked, pine-crowned bough
(So still and silent serpent
Over now day-misted lake)
Snake further still in the dark?
Turning gently to its queen,
"Dear Sorceress within,"
Does it whispering to you ask
"Where do we wander tonight?"
Then silent as owl's flight,
Does my Innisfree arise,
Unfurling gold-scaled dragon wings,
And vanish?
Do you color these worlds I dream?
In my head I took the dock in the background and combined it with the memory of a giant fallen tree you cannot see from this angle. It snakes into the Lake a good ten feet, but it is from a direction where she could not get a decent picture. There rocks in the right background jutting out to the left. G took many photos of misty still waters, brilliant foliage breaking through it. She has a painting I did based on her work hanging next to the two inspiration shots at her house, in fact. We used to be like that, working off of each other's art. The image in my head had more the mist of the first painting.
I dreamed that poem once again. Last night. I have to work on it now. I don't know whether I yet have the skill for it, but I have to try. Eventually I will get it, I know. Plus I have to finish the painting "Snow on October Fire" too. This means I'll not be writing for a bit. Not long, but probably not more--except on comments, of course! Joy died before Christmas. Jack's senility has made him kind... such a gentle surprise. Many difficult memories reside with these two as well--I may or may not write of them. But I remembered the Joy who was there for me, and tried for thirty-five years to find her again. She left when she lost that Cape House. She never came back...
But has so often been the case, out of a time of pain and turmoil, came nuggets of great beauty and wonder for me, and a simple children's poem, and an image that haunts me still. I had to wait until I could BEGIN to paint it, until I could feel Joy's death as LOSS, to find my way back to it again.
In Arnold's words, "Ah'll be Bahck."
PS
I just finished a sketch that has promise! Kinda excited now.



27 comments:
Now, this is some twisted story! What a great episode it would make in your memoir!
I wrote you an email, Rosaria. It is a LONG and very twisted story, this relationship and THEIR relationship.
Thanks for comment on my blog. I too think along same lines as you - usually - but hadn't done so regarding the bird - why I don't know. You have got me thinking now.
I love the idea of the dream poem and the poem itself which is actually quite 'dreamy', the sort I enjoy.
I think dream poems are the best kind. It's like a gift:)
Ah yes, when that "inner voice" begins to nag at me, I HAVE to get words on paper. I imagine the same happens for those who paint as they see the finished product in their mind's eye. :)
Do what makes you happy.
Sometimes the inner voice says "write" and "Paint" at the same time. THOSE days are a puzzlement. And a gift, Hope.
LealShine, yes, those poems are a gift. I will never be a "poet." I will sometimes write poetry because that's what comes out. Nope.
I DO feel the painting in my head is a gift of grace, if I can only PAINT THE THING!
Cait: thank you for visiting and commenting. That reminds me. I have to fly there to see whether someone knows your magical bird.
Yes, write and paint at the same time. What the hell have I been telling you?
Okay, Bruce. Sheesh... I just have to figure out how to write or paint with my right hand and write with my left.
Stop yellin' at me, ya so and so!
... or not. I'm making myself dizzy--not that this is difficult.
Wow, thank you for sharing. Brought on some serious tears and thoughts.
Thank you, Ben. I do tend to be a bit serious in my blog, with punctuation marks of bright light and humor, I guess.
A sad tale indeed.
I know, Debra. Another sad tale, and that was not the saddest of it even! Feh.
The thing is, I am not a sad person. I don't get it. In fact, my friend who is here tonight and I just had a laughing jag so long and so violent that my sides hurt! We do that a lot.
But the tale of Joy and Jack is far too sad a tale to tell. I am not sure where the real nuggets of good are in all of it, but one day I'll take a look and probably find more than I thought.
Beautiful, thought provoking images and words. And I am so glad that finally you can allow yourself to mourn for your Aunt Joy, though I suspect that you have been grieving for the loss of the woman who offered support to you for many a long year.
People do some strange things, don't they? I sometimes look at what people are doing and wonder what they think they are doing and how it will end. Sad really.
Sad tale, intriguing poem. I shall be interested to see where you take it.
So many layers to this story! The hope, the promises, the angst, the love, the mystery...it's all there. And I so long to go to this island...I'll trade you one shop in Chinatown for it! Beautiful storytelling as usual.
I hadn't stopped to think at all as I wrote... The tale of Aunt Joy's life is as sad as my mom's. Only Mom was less concerned with the trappings--the Depression had different impact on each woman's development. Mom let go of money-wanting, pretty much. Joy retreated into a NEED to be affluent. That's the thing in my family--most of the people were bigger than life and tragic.
I AM excited about the painting from the poem. Sometimes I see things in a type of illustration picture--simplistic LOOKING, but, like Eric Carle's work, deceptive.
Not that I will ever come close to him, but he is the inspiration for the technique I've developed for all my work. His little movie about the process hit home for me.
And that poem, as I mentioned, felt like a picture book story to me. We'll see if I can really DO what my mind is screaming.
In the meantime there is the painting for today's blog!
That's a roundabout way of thanking, E.C., Rock Chef, Dave and Kerry!
And, by the way, THANK YOU Bruce. I carry the image of conversations with ghosts with me. I like it and it sort of helps as I realize more and more that paintings are born of strange dreams and those conversations--a lot.
What motivates people to be something they are not. Truly an amazing albeit bizarre story.
I don't know, Sextant my friend. Joy and Jack have been a puzzlement since I went to Europe with them when I was fifteen. Joy thought she was the Lady of the Manor, creating what she thought of as an estate on Cape Cod. It was not all that big. She had a basket for every fruit, and a basket for long thin flowers, and a basket for short, bushier flowers. She had her morning dresses and her afternoon dresses and her dinner dresses. They all looked the same to me, but, well, I'm not a lady and I live now in an apartment, so there you go!
Jette, I don't believe for one minute that you are not a lady. More importantly you are a woman, and I bet under the right circumstances a hellion of a she cat that could rip the unsuspecting to shreds. The trick is that you know how and when to be which. Or is that bewitch? Very odd and magical woman!
Thank you, Sextant. I have no idea whether or not I am magical, but if I am to some people, then that is more than enough for me.
In some ways, you know what? I really am a woman who knows when to be which, though, like anyone else, I get myself all in a dither and a twist. I have ripped too many to shreds, so I had myself declawed.There are other ways to win the day, if the day must be won.
Thank you so much. In real life... in this life in which I walk, very seldom am I acknowledged as much of anything at all, except by those who are already close. So compliments--real ones, like yours pierce very deeply indeed.
In a good way.
Jettte, it appears to me that you have about 76 people here who acknowledge you as someone who has something rather profound and enriching to say.
We are the little people, the dung encrusted masses, but I find the genuine affection of the few to be far richer and more enduring than the crystalline glory of the phony adoration of the glamorous and powerful.
You are absolutely right, Sextant. And I have found more inspiration among these seventy-six and others whom I follow than I could have imagined. AND comfort and support.
I'm afraid I do not consider you all the little people or dung-encrusted. Not to me. I'm not partial to the glamorous and powerful--as if I had any experience with them!!
Sometimes it feels like a dream, being able to connect in such real ways with people from all over the USA and other countries. It all is far more enriching than facebook or "social media" that encourage snippet-talking.
Enough. To bed with me. Thank you again, my friend.
I feel badly for Jack. That he had that supreme NEED to be the guy whose ship had come in...~Mary
Makes me wonder who lives in the island house?
Jo jitna saccha pyaar
karta hai na, gum bhi us
shah ko utna hi milta hai. satta king
Post a Comment