Ten anonymous spam, some of which was obscene in my email today. One or two were tolerable; not ten. For whatever reason, spammers are reading old blogs and trying to send comments which, though they do not show up on the blog comments themselves, show up in my Inbox. And whether or not I do not open them, I do not trust that information is not being mined even more because of them.
So, I hate two word verification myself, but it will not keep me from reading your blogs. I had complained about the system before because of my eyes, but now I realized what it keeps from my mailbox. I'll be more patient with my old eyes and with the system.
Anyway, I hope it will not drive you away from mine. Sorry guys. I will try again in a couple of months. Perhaps there will be updates in blogger.
22 comments:
sweetie do NOT apologize for this - there are a lot of jerks out there who do that and i dealt with it myself...if someone wants to bitch about having to type in a couple of characters, that's their problem.
i always approve comments - you'd be amazed at how many spammers still try to get through, or just people who are jerks criticizing me for grammar or not using caps or whatever. oy vey!
(hugs)
Really? You know, even with word verification, I have NEVER had that kind of commenter. But, then, I don't have a huge following. I simply get notified if there is a comment, and I can read that comment. ONCE, in three years, I went back and deleted the comment. That's all.
It is more the knowledge that these robo spammers are mining information that disturbs me.
Hell, I didn't even did not delete some comment from a stranger about my art that said something to effect of it was kind of okay. It made me laugh.
But thank you. I WAS having a terrible time reading the two words and it has taken me up to five minutes to guess it right. The one word was easier. However, they seem to have done something that is making it easier again for old eyes to discern the letters.
Thank you. Eccogrrl, it's meant a lot to me that you follow my ramblings!
I have another tough one coming up... having to do with a life-changing hospital stay--a changing point in my life. I have to be sure I did not write it before. It's easy to forget when I have.
Totally understood. I have rarely been hit by Spam on my Blog. If I were I would prob have to do word ver too!
J
It's got to be your choice, Jeannette, and I'm sure people will still comment. If it's any consolation, I don't think there's any way a plain text email forwarded from Blogger can mine information, as none of the links in it are live. That's why the plain text format is used.
To me there's a more annoying problem than having to use WV to comment on your blog and that is that the recent format upgrade on the pop-up and full-page comment boxes has removed the option to follow later comments by email. The only format that now has this option is the embedded, which is why i've changed to it. Sigh...
Having sufferred (and still sufferring) from these idiots and their very nasty minds I don't object at all to anyone who is forced into using Word Verification. That's why I moderate all my comments to stop my genuine readers from having to see what these unpleasant characters write. And if I can cope with it with my eyesight anyone can!
Don't let them get at you. Unpleasant though it may be try your best to ignore it.
Only just read the comments - I commented after reading your posting but before reading the comments. Otherwise I would not have ignored your mention of a life-changing hospital stay. May all go well for you and may your recovery be quick and as painless (physically and mentally) as possible.
Love
John
Oh, DEAR! John, I already HAD the life-changing surgery. You are such a kind man. I am so sorry to have given you a start. It's that there is a particular hospital stay of eight weeks, during which I had three life-threatening surgeries, which changed my life.
They are done and long, long gone. Thank you for the thoughts. I forget too often that over half my followers do not realize my history, and don't know I had nine major spinal or spine-related surgeries.
I won't say I am FINE, but my life is not threatened in the least.
And I don't let the spam get to me--I just don't feel like dealing with it any more, when there is a choice. My particular sight issues do make the words difficult for me--extremely. Still, it's worth it to read people's posts. I have fallen behind this week, but will catch up on Saturday, when I plan to have a blog-reading fest for myself.
Most blogs I have visited do use word verification. It is a small price to pay. I didn't mind it all when blogger was using the old blue letters which were easy to read. They recently switched over to captcha which I believe are one of the evils unleashed on mankind, but at least they have got away from the dark blob which was extremely difficult to read. Like all things in modern life, it is PIA required by people who intend harm.
I actually like WF. The nonsense words are fun :-)
Gotcha! And I look forward to the words I get when I come to your blog again. SOme of them are a hoot!
you know...you can set posts over a certain age on comment mod...i do that and it cuts out most if not all of the spammers...
No apologies necessary. It is your blog and most of all it needs to meet your needs. And I hope that peace of mind is high on your list of needs. And being spammer free gives me a feeling of safety somehow.
Not a problem for me either!
My favourite spammer was the guy who ranted about how terrible American women are and said that men should boycott them in favour of women from the east who knew their place! Yeah, a classic.
I can ive with this word verification because it's much faster when you hit the circular arrow to come to one you can actually type.
No worries! Looks like people will comment no matter what if they like what they read or feel moved to contribute. Like now. Happy Friday.
I haven't had a problem - YET.
WV - Ug (or more accurately eldepar ntelprog)!
Thanks, everyone. I just did not want to be a hypocrite! I was one of the people who was bitc--complaining really loudly. Especially with those cloud thingies in the background. I'm doing better with them now, but I just felt I should say something since I turned it back on.
I have the nicest followers, I swear. None of you abuse me or anything... I'm not used to that!
By the way, Kass... Anyone ever tell you you have a way with words?
It's ok. the word verification thing is a hit and miss with me. I have a harder time with it when I'm on my phone trying to post but understand why you are wanting to put it back up. I haven't changed mine yet but I might if mine gets bad.
This is an interesting post. There are always jerks out there who would spam people. It's just annoying. Ignore them and keep your head up.
www.modernworld4.blogspot.com
If it stops the bots from spamming then I am all for it.
kyuki is badi si duniya me
mera aapke siva kon hai mera. play bazaar
Play bazaar
satta king
Post a Comment