However, I wanted to revisit an early entry here. I had a whole lot of magic in my early life, and when I started writing the blog I began with some of them. I had almost no followers. Not that it's a crowd now, but quantity hasn't been my goal. I simply wanted to work on my writing--the craft, the art, and the notion that one can convey pain without graphically sticking to horrifying detail! However, more people have decided to stay and perhaps you might be getting a skewed view of what my childhood was!
One commenter felt he could not live my life with all I have gone through. I put this little piece in here once more, for those who have never read it, to remind you that I LOVE my mom. And that Jack and I had some magical times. That our world held every single color imaginable, and, yes, to lighten up.
NOTE: I have scattered a few Garth Williams illustrations because THIS is the image of elves I had as a child, from the book Elves and Fairies. I just thought it might evoke memories for boomers, and give others a feel for the fifties, when my memories were the living events. At one time I asked my mom whether I could grow up to be Garth Williams and she told me that I would have to work on growing up to be Jetty. I sulked for easily a whole fifteen minutes.
Enough intro ... Onward... From July, 2009--moved to today
... [There] were moments of pure joy and absolute beauty in my childhood. In fact, they took up more time and space, and as I explore this art form of memoir in my blog, I think I would rather start here. I would rather begin with the magic that was my mom, Jean Margaret. We'll leave the darkness for other times...
***
![]() |
| Me, around 2 in ecstasy over a feather |
Spirituality is a strange thing in the heart of a child. It has wings sometimes; it flies up from the leaves, the grass, through water, from everywhere at once. More than half a century later, I feel it and taste it, hear the echoes of that day. Grown ups call what children feel so deeply “magic,” then try to teach them it’s God. They don’t seem to ever get it; children need no teaching. We know it is all the same, whatever name we give It. The Keeper of all Magic is God.
On the other hand, when I was not yet four and my brother was already six, for us, the Keeper of the Magic was Mommy.
Especially on sunny mornings, when the light threw rainbows all over the kitchen, and she'd wipe her hands on her apron, not even finishing the breakfast dishes, turn to us and whisper, "picnic!" Out would come the hard-boiled eggs ever-ready in the fridge, for deviling. Jacky would make the chocolate milk. I would rinse the grapes. Before you knew it, Jack's enormous red wagon appeared, the thermos was full, picnic packed, and we were gone.
This particular day, Mommy had said to me, "Always remember, Jetty, there is always something more compelling in life than housework."
***
We always stopped on the dirt road beside the hole in the bridge. She’d let us look down at the water rushing miles below. It was on our picnic that particular day that we learned about elves.
“Lie on your backs and don’t make a sound,” said Mommy, doing this herself. “Just look at the clouds and listen.”
At first I didn’t hear much, but gradually I heard it. Soft rustlings, small feet, rushing sounds that had no familiarity.
“Now look at where you hear the sounds,” she said. “You can’t see anything, can you, except a few ants. They are much too small to make such sounds.”
We were stumped. We waited, looking at our mother with full confidence that some new axiom was about to be shared.
“Elves,” she said. “Well, and fairies, too, but primarily elves because fairies tend to fly. It’s the only explanation. They are invisible to us, but they make sounds. What else could it be? If it were birds or animals, we’d have seen them. We have them all around here.” She waved her arms, encompassing the whole woods, it seemed. “And we have them outside the kitchen window, too. Jean Ellen saw them yesterday. We decided you two should know about it, because we want you to help us make them some furniture.”“In the window box, Mom?” asked Jacky.
“Precisely.”
We sat up and opened our sandwich cookies in solemn wonder. Elves. At our house. First a picnic, now this. Lunchtime drifted lazily into early afternoon, as we named cloud shapes, studied three ants trying to move one large crumb to their home. Mommy wouldn’t let us squash it.
“Only in the house. Outside, this is their spot and we’re guests.”
And so it came to pass that Daddy came home for dinner to find four of his family painting folded paper furniture, and stringing twig bows for a family of window box-elves with whom he wasn’t even formally acquainted. My older brother Jim was watching T.V. He was nine and too old for this “junk.” Jean Ellen was twelve and it didn’t phase her in the least. It was all right, though, because Jim wasn’t much into anything Jacky and I cared about.Daddy said, “Elves. I see. I’ll go read the paper for a while.” He didn’t even grump about dinner. Just got a beer from the fridge and wandered, chuckling, into the living room. We put the furniture and three bows into the window box and tried not to look for signs of life more than ten times before bed.
I was in the kitchen by 6:00 the next morning, when Mom was putting the water on for hers and Daddy’s tea. I dragged a chair to the window, knocking into washing machine and the mop bucket.
“Hold your horses, Jetty, just hold your horses,” Daddy’s voice was his laughing voice as his hands lifted me onto the chair.
The furniture had been moved and the bows were gone.
“Jacky!” I shrieked. Fortunately, he was on his way down the stairs.
A small, bumpy blue bag was on the edge of the box by the house, in the left corner, the spot most accessible from the kitchen. I let Jacky pick it up and he let me unfold the small note inside, as he emptied out a small mound of marbles of every description. In the tiniest printing that ever was, Daddy read, 'Thank you for the furniture. It’s very comfortable. And the bows work great. Yours truly, the window box elves.'Later that summer, when I was four, Mommy said we were moving to a new house in someplace called Manchester a whole twenty minutes away. I started crying because there would be no elves.
The very first thing she did, when she got me out of the car at the new house, was take me to our side yard. There was a tree with twisty branches and giant leaves, as big as plates.
“This is a catalpa tree, Jetty. I prefer to call it an elf’s tree.”
I looked hard at the tree, expecting to see a tiny pair of eyes look back.
“Elves use these leaves for clothing, for their bows and arrows, to make their homes, and they use the catalpa beans for food and the pods for boats. It’s the perfect tree for them. Just last week, I believe your father saw an elf or two right on our back porch. Next week, we’ll have to make some gifts as a sort of housewarming, okay?”
Years later, I found her talking to my soon-to-be stepdaughter at the picnic table beneath that tree. All I heard were the words “What else could those sounds be? Catalpa trees are elf trees, actually…” and I went back into the house. Jessie started calling my mother grandma that very day.
***
That was one type of punctuation to bracket regular life. Most days we told her we were bored and had nothing to do, to which she would absently pat our heads, kiss us, and say, “That’s too bad. I’m not.” And she’d leave us to find something to do, not knowing how to be mad at her exactly. She yelled at us when we were bad, shooed us when she was busy, was impatient more than was probably right at times. She was the rule-maker and the sun at the center of our lives, like most Moms. She also held a terrible darkness that could block out the brightest day.
Most of our days, though, as small children, were the stuff of everyone’s childhood in the 1950s and early 60s. The difference was the magic of a Mom who would drop everything to give us pure joy, to find the adventure in an ordinary moment. We had elves. We had rainbows. And we had lazy, deviled-egg picnics that supplanted housework on the priority list for living.
This morning I saw a dust rhino gallop across the living room floor. I thought I'd best vacuum. The sun hit the prism in my window and I went out into the garden instead. I am not sure, but I may have seen an elf leap off the six foot tall lily by my front door.
Small Addendum
How many people got a mom like that? Or ever really KNEW about elves and fairies? Or knew there was something more important, more compelling than housework. Like blogging, for instance? I miss my mom. On the other hand, I DID teach Claire and Adam all about Santa Claus and how I knew about him through my dad. Yes, and of course, they did not have an elf TREE, but they had a birdhouse with a magic garden around it, and ultimately the elves found that... There is no garden or catalpa tree. I guess next spring, I'll have to make an elf planter because I am really not sure I want to live somewhere they cannot be, you know?




31 comments:
Oh, for a few minutes, everything stopped for me too, and I followed you and yours to that picnic, folded paper furniture too, and life stood still in the magic you created with this piece. I'm so thankful!
Thank you. Your mama sounds like an amazing woman, and one to cherish in your heart.
I am once again transported by your words...the magic your mom gave to you was probably the most important thing she could give you. I only started reading your lovely blog and I am not familiar with her darkness, but thank goodness for devilled eggs and elves...what a beautiful story.
It now makes me want to expose my young nieces and nephews to the magic of the little people.
As a new reader to your blog, I, too, have not me the darkness inside your mom. But I loved this story of her magical side.
My mom was brilliant, sad, joyful... and an alcoholic who also fought psychotic episodes--she fought those with everything in her. The entries that show her darkness... one I mentioned at the beginning, but the one that really addressed it was
from Sept. 5, 2009 "About Forgiveness." I may print that again, but I don't know. I am headed for integrating so much of my blog into my book that I am not sure.
I can only thank all four of you for following my blog now and for your wonderful words of support. I am so glad the wonder that was my mom shines in some of my entries. I NEVER want people to think that I see myself as a victim of my life.
I was a victim of abuse that often goes along with having one parent who is an alcoholic and one who is absent far too much. But I am not a victim now. And, while I often wonder about whether I'd have changed having one of my brothers, I NEVER feel that way about my parents.
And, as will come out here and there, even the other brother had moments of unbearable sweetness. He had that glitch in the brain that spawned a sociopath--just as my mom had whatever it is that brings on psychotic episodes. But he, up until he was well into his twenties, had sweetness.
If you want to understand more, you'll find things in 2009 more than 2010.
OR you can wait for my book!!! May be a long wait though
my mother was nothing like any of the descriptions i've read but the first scene you described getting the food ready, took me to one moment that i loved. before the days of 'subway sandwiches' when we went for a day hike, i loved when my mom would buy all the fixin's to make submarine sandwiches, and we each got to make our own. it was sunny, we were living in virginia for 7 months, away from the northwest, and it was sunny. i was seven, and that's what i remember. that, and fireflies at night.
oh wait though, you are jogging my memories. for a short time when i was little, my mother would tell me stories of a princess. no idea what the stories were, i have a weird spotty memory of childhood. but i remember her name, a strange sounding one, and it was years before i realized it was just my name spelled backwards. airheaded maybe, but i love how i fell right for the story - i fall into movies just as easily as a grown up.
Oh Jeannette, you write so beautifully.. all that innocence and wonder, the infinite possibilities only a child can see. No, children do not judge, they merely grasp the goodness without question, and soak up whatever magic they might find.
I think I know how you grew your imagination and talent, it appears to have been watered from an early age. If there be monsters in the closet, there were also fairies and elves in there, too.. thank goodness. Nothing is ever black or white, is it? I am so glad that little girl who was you, was given a store of some nurturing memories, to lay past with the frightening ones.
I am also glad you can not only write, but write so well.
What a beautiful story. Funny what I don't remember as a child. I love elves and will now have to teach my daughter all about them.
i just get lost in your world when i read you. you are very easy to read and i can easily spend a long time just browsing through your stories.
Thank you so much Ecogrrl, Shrinky, Anne, and Kamana. I still get lost in this world, as you probably can tell because of my looking around to find some little illustrations there to highlight what I felt as a child.
I lost myself again just getting those. While I was only two in that picture, the poster someone made me of that photo CLEARLY shows me holding a feather with my traditional extended pinky. I did that and still do when I am holding or touching something delicate and, apparently, when I am lost in some dreamworld and awake!
We all have our dark sides, i guess - but maybe we don't all have the magic that can compensate. Sounds like your mom did.
Well, as I've said--a rain forest. And mom was the one with the most extremes of all--her "normal" mom, as in, keeper of all things magic, the woman who was wise beyond most and had the mind like a steel trap--all the while she looked like Mrs. Claus.
The woman who battled psychotic episodes which included violence and a strange laugh.
And the alcoholic under the influence, alternately maudlin and sarcastic--more sarcastic in the final years, but usually maudlin and unutterably sad when I was a child. Occasionally the psychotic and alcoholic joined.
We don't talk about that. It drifts into poems now and then.
But the unbearable light of her when she was not sad? Yes, Dave, She managed to have enough magic, love, and light to compensate.
In Spain we speak of goblins in the areas of heavy forest. Also in the flamenco singer is said to have much duende when he sings with great depth and feeling.
What a beautiful story. I need to catch up on your writing, but I have absolutely no doubt you could write a book worth reading!
And I am so going to take my grandson out to meet the elves and fairies.
smiles. how did i miss this one? you weave magic in your words...i still beoieve in faeries and elves...i am glad you have happy moments to balance...and did you say book? smiles.
Oh, I have those summers at the Lake, Brian. My story about that summer was true. I really lived that sort of Huckleberry Finn thing in the summers. And I have the back yard skating rink. And Mommy building us a snow house in the back yard... LOTS of things.
And yeah, I am working on a book. I still feel as if I have nerve thinking I can write a book... but that's what I am plugging away at.
Thank you, Brian, and you Nancy, for your support of my writing. I get lost when I write my blog memories. Yes, I revise a lot, and I work on them, but I sort of get lost in the story of each part of my life and forget that it happened to me.
You continue to make me wonder just who you are. Did you emerge from all of this just with elves, or also with demons? You are a tough one to get a handle on. But, you probably like it that way.
Oh, man, Bruce. I got me one hell of a lot of demons, but I tend to fight them with elves. Oddly enough, the elves win most of the time. Who knew?
Good.
smiles. i am glad the elves win...happy saturday friend...
I plan to settle in with a cup of coffee and read this one tomorrow. I have not had a moment all week to get to it. Sorry. I have been meaning to.
No "Sorry" necessary, you! Carl, this is to further your education on the subject. You already know they are born in lakes.
By the way, have you ever found the bush where your professor resided??
That is delicious fantasy, fills my head colors that the eye is not able to perceive. Happy Sunday.
What a wonderful mother, very beautiful post. As you said she her times of darkness, and who knows what demons gnawed at her Soul, but this is a very loving and touching story.
You mentioned the caltapa tree. My grand father had a huge caltapa in the barnyard of his farm. Great for climbing! Anyhow in one of my boyhood reads and it may have been something by Mark Twain, I read that the long pods were "indian stogies" and were very good to smoke. So at the tender age of 12 I tried one. Good grief, I thought it was going to kill me. Not recommended.
Wow. I did not expect so much of a response to my rerun here... Sextant, she was a remarkable soul. And, fortunately, in the last few months of her life she told me some of the demons that bit at her heels. Handed down sickness of soul, it seems. Valedictorian of a class of 860. Not allowed to go off to college because the parents felt it was a waste. Instead they paid for their son to go, in accordance with the times--he was number 680 in a class of 850.
Much of what I am working on--my book, yes--involves the enigma that was my mother. And I have looked like her throughout periods of my life. I had the same natural ability is math, but rejected it--something that sometimes enraged her. She wanted to watch me go after the life SHE had wanted.
Beautiful when young, magic as she aged. Men adored her no matter what she looked like.
I'll be on hiatus--though I suspect it will be short--to work on some paintings soon.
But I'll be referencing some of my early posts for those who care to fill in some of the gaps from following me just in the last year.
And to get a history lesson on how fairies are actually BORN. You know, there is learning to be had about such things. Fortunately I discovered the truth, though Jo feels she did first...
i miss my mom like crazy. She gave me music. But I want to give Jane music AND elves. I loved this!
First time -- and not my last time -- here.
Great foreshadowing for me, and I'm a fan of your writing style...
Pearl
Oh that was lovely. I remember a forest in Port Coquitlam where me and the children would gather wood from was a magical forest. I hope they remember that summer like you remember your elves. And thank you for your kind comments on my little blog!
Lovely, just lovely.
There's nothing else I want to say.
I do believe I need some fairies and elves in my life:)
Post a Comment