Accidental Spring

Accidental Spring
"Accidental Spring" This began as the background for painting other papers, but became something else!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Headed to the Studio for a Bit ... Some Background Blogs in the Meantime

I actually am working on a book, and trying to figure out the thread of the focus. It won't be a litany of hurts, that's for sure; it won't be Pollyanna Grows Up In Hell but is GLAD,  either. I'm not good at perky. I think that essentially it is The Prince of Tides without the tiger. And it may be that I wind up having to fictionalize, for the sake of some innocent relatives, and, well because the sociopath is alive. Then, too, that might be kind of fun. While I would love to write a memoir, it might be that to talk about my personal journey, it should be fictionalized; to talk about my mom, however, might be something I could tackle. We'll see.

Regardless, painting dreams seem to be taking over for now, and it's time I paid attention. Often the two forms--writing and painting--feed off one another.

But I've been so lucky to get about thirty new followers in a short time, and some of my entries might make more sense if you look at earlier ones. They might illustrate more of who I am.

I dance on the edges of things, skating the curve between the yin and the yang, the dark and the light, where life and death touch. But the only way I survived all the pain was to cling to the beauty and try to let go of the horror, swinging toward that rainbow on these slender vines of whatever beauty I could see. Sometimes they broke. Sometimes they took me to somewhere safe for a time. Sometimes they took me directly into a pile of ... not good stuff.  I have lived between the extremes, but early on, it taught me to live BY extremes. Too much so often. 'Matt' once told me, "Your love, our love, this love between us was so big it scared me to death. You scared me to death. I had to run away."

SO... I did my best to kill myself off by inches in my twenties, until my broken back saved my life. It was a real, tangible problem to fight, to overcome, to conquer, instead of demons just out of my reach. And conquer it I did, for twenty years longer than they gave me to live or to walk, so far. T I'm here. I walk. I stand. But mostly, I live. And as I have said in previous comments, I use the elves and fairies, the wildflower days and the Lake, the beauty and laughter of Christmas, to cut the demons down.

Blog Entries for While I am Painting, not Writing--for those of you who are so inclined
For any of you newer followers who are interested, I've included some early entries--Losing Dad was the latest and about nine of you were around then, perhaps. I did not remember a thing about the abuse and violence until I lost my dad--Losing dad, finding therapy .  This entry talks about him in a little more depth than the Slayer of Monsters under My Bed.

I could not really start the process of having the distance to write about it all until after my  mom died. I was far too closely entwined with her, her struggles, her failures, her victory. HER life story. (Hence, I am kicking around tackling a memoir that focuses on her and on our relationship.) I could not separate myself properly. I include the following entry, which shows most clearly so far, the wide swings of feelings about her.
Losing Mom, finding my way

When I had lost both parents, then I opened up and began to write about it all, a bit at a time. But I let no one see. I let very few in that deeply even in talking. It took years to truly have it lose the power to  hurt me. But I had my breakthroughs, and life changed. I got new tools to use to actually enjoy pastels in life. Grays even. Balance without boredom was a brand new concept to me at 37, after she died.

I think one such breakthrough came when I stopped blaming Mom for everything, that was a huge step.
Underlying Premise--I cannot blame my mother, dammit.


This next is the beginning of it for me, and it is pretty horrifying, I think... Where the terror and the sociopath were born, but also where the love was born. This was the one story that made my therapist cry, but it is pivotal to the gift I was given to cope, through the Robin Hood Days, and through the days of jumping at the too small sounds in the night, when my other brother came.  Bear in mind I was perhaps a year and a half older than the me in the picture of my window box elves entry -- three and a half!  I don't know that I had more than two followers when I wrote this one. Grace by Any Other Name

I blocked the incident out entirely until I was about 36, just as I did the sessions with Jack, and the rape that made me start carrying a steak knife to my room at night. No one ever said a word about the knife, a small fact that makes me wonder still. I never tried to hide it. In fact, if Jim was in the living room, I made sure it was very visible... Still, my memories were only of elves, until my father died, and Pandora's box flew open, and the demons were let loose for good.

Out of that little bitty girl came a solution for most traumas, most pain. Love. Agape, not emotion so much as the gift. The gift of love.

It was what I used over and over before each of my nine back operations--I would say the names of the people I love, over and over and over -- it was far more powerful than thinking of people who loved me. After all, who would love a woman like me anyway? They all left so fast, and it was so very hard to believe back then that there was anything in me to love ... But there was nothing hard about my naming the ones that I loved, whether or not they loved me back. It helped me get through many situations which scared me.  Cover the fear with love

Funny thing is, most of those people DID love me back, and have loved me ever since.  It kept coming as a shock when these women united so often, catching me before I hit the ground, over and over again. The Women

 ***
I think losing my daughter in 1994, just two years after her father left, broke the final dam of some sort of resistance to share my core with others. I did not think anything could ever be worse than this. (That will undoubtedly be an entry one day--one of the most bizarre experiences, aside from the worst moment of my adult life. Hearing that she was dead.) I moved to Pennsylvania six months later, learned to paint, and simply breathed. Between 1987 and 1994 I lost both my parents, had my  ninth back surgery, went through psychotherapy for post traumatic stress, bought a house with my sister, had both kids leave for college, had my husband leave me for his student teacher who was Jessie's age, and finally lost my daughter.

When I wrote the poem to her in 2005 that is in the next entry, I had lost three best friends and my nephew and my brother as well. I was worn out from  losing people and starting over, but I also knew I was going to lose my sister, too (I wrote about her in January of this year). (From 2000-2006 I lost my minister -- and dear friend--to suicide, two close friends, my nephew who hanged himself, my brother and finally my sister. I was kinda tired. And I was losing my ability to walk. I was starting over for the sixth time in my adult life, I felt.)

This is just a bit of a tribute to my love for my Jessica. She is inextricably entwined in my path to wanting to write again, in wanting to fly if I cannot walk. My Jess

That's enough of the hard stuff. I understand if you don't want to read any of those. I am so grateful for the support you all give me in writing, in letting me know that you don't think it a crazy idea for me to write a book.  Of course, I'd have to write it anyway, because writing is what I do.  I could not stop it, one way or another, if I tried. Like breathing. Like praying, singing, painting.  Like loving. So if I write a book no one wants to publish or read,  I'll keep writing anyway.

If I do not just go down into my studio and get started on those paintings, I will lose my brain altogether, howver. I thought I could create a schedule where I would, oh, paint in the morning, write in the afternoon. Nope. I'll do both in spurts... but as long as I do one or the other every day, then it's fine.

Okay, for those of you newer followers who don't really want to just read the heavy stuff about me, I have other entries that show something else!

NOW About Fairies or Faeries, and other Kinds of Magic
What More you Really Should Oughta Know
For those of you who want the silly and the magic,  Birthing Fairies: the Honest Truth, not the Fake truth    is self-explanatory. Some of you may have not had this in your education and if you have small children or grandchildren, you might need to pay attention to this factual account. Jo over at Majority of Two can corroborate that this is how they are born. She found this out in Canada, so it isn't just me.

Beyond the magic of my mother, I was also given our summers. Huckleberina Finn is a sample of that. Then of course, there was Christmas....

Those three entries are some of the shiny parts of my life.Hence my comparison of my family environment as a rain forest: lush or rotting, with little in between.

As for me, one of the pictures I've dreamed is birthing fairies... a spot on the lake that shines so clear for me still. I finally think I know how to get what I want on paper--the overbright sparkles that get larger as they come to shore. We'll see. And I finally have the right fish for my coral painting... and--Well. I just have to paint is all.

I can't walk away for two months again. Undoubtedly new things to write will start nagging at me softly, then louder I will have to come back and finish them, if only to shut them up. Do you find that, too? That a work of art yells at you to get over there and DO it? That a  story weaves into your dreams and mucks them all up ? Or paintings arrive unannounced and fully blown?

Sometimes the muse is downright rude. Oh. And I've recently begun to write music for the Thursday night group of which I am a part. I never wrote music before in my life. THAT is calling to.

But the thing is? Now I am free. Free of the house that was too much for me, of having to consider anyone else in my days. I am free to fly. And that's WAY easier than walking. My friends dubbed me the Phoenix. I like that, as I said. It's mythical enough, and I am slowly working on a painting of that. Each feather is being cut individually. I work on it when I DO feel weak, when I feel that I cannot take any more pain or loss, or have one more hope placed in my hand to look at and cherish, only to have it taken away and thrown beyond my reach the moment I believe. I mean, really. Who doesn't want to be the center of her own myth? It can be useful when the darkness visits.

The demons rarely stay for long any more. And when the fires come, I FLY. Fly straight up and free.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks, but I will be following your blogs. It's how I start and end most days.

Then, too, I may be back writing sooner if new entries interfere with my dreams and then start yarping loudly at me as the paintings did!

In the meantime, as Carl would say, keep makin' art. I am so very lucky to have made blogging friends here... and I think it all started with Carl at Artistic Balance and Jo at Majority of Two.  And built from there.  If the blogs I follow are not familiar to you, I'd also suggest you root around among them, and give some a try! I know that reading such fine words and seeing such beautiful words  have made me think more, feel more deeply--and have lifted my spirits when I needed it.

25 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Ok. It seems to me that I have a week or more in reading here. Thank you, and off I go.

Elephant's Child said...

Comment the second. Loved your story about your dad. Mine too did not/would not/could not die until we had all been to see him and until we had said that it was alright to let go.

Elephant's Child said...

Comment the third: Losing Mom is too close to the bone today. Its beauty, truth and familiarity have knotted my stomach tight. I am going away to brood, but I will be back.

EcoGrrl said...

i had started writing about my dad tonight and stopped. then i read your post and lost it all over again. i am nearing year three since my father's death and am still searching for answers. my life is two pieces - before and after november 10, 2008. i wish i had last words from him. i thank you for sharing your words, for giving me strength.

JeannetteLS said...

Elephant's Child, thank you for your comments and for taking the time to read! I hope I did not trigger things that will be too painful.

EcoGrrl. Three years is not long, that's for sure. Not for losing someone that close. I was so very fortunate in the work both my parents did to try to make amends in small and large ways. SO lucky. I'm glad if my words offered comfort or strength.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my posts. I appreciate it.

Elephant's Child said...

Comment the fourth: Let me know if you get sick of me. That taking responsibility is soooo hard. Rewarding, but very hard. A couple of years back I had an ephifany when I realised that the callers at Lifeline I warmed to most were the ones who were taking responsibility. Not necessarily for where they were, but certainly for where they were going. And since then I have tried to live my own life that way.

Elephant's Child said...

Comment the fifth: I am so glad that you were able to tell you mother that the teacher was wrong. Even more glad that you could articulate it, and believe it with every fibre of your being.

Elephant's Child said...

Comment the sixth: Thank you for the reminder about the power of love. Past, and present both.

Elephant's Child said...

Comment the seventh: Another heartfelt thankyou.

Elephant's Child said...

Comment the eighth: I can't tell you how privileged I felt to be able to share a little of this very special young woman. More thanks.

Anne Gallagher said...

Jeannette -- Sometimes I can't believe how strong some people are. And you are on of the strongest and bravest women I've ever had the pleasure to know. If they gave out awards for honest emotion, you'd win hands down.

Best to you over the next few weeks. Keep on writing, keep on painting, keep on making music.

Brian Miller said...

well you plan on keeping us busy so we dont miss you...smiles. have fun in the studio...and you def have a great start on your book in these...thank you for sharing your story with us...

Bruce Coltin said...

I think that often the most important part of a story is the writer's "angle."

It seems to me that your story is already written (even if mostly in your head), and needs the discovery of that angle, or approach, or context to provide the perfect telling.

The voice - sweet, smart, stoic, poetic - is already there.

Painting may bring it to you.

JeannetteLS said...

Wow! I just wandered back here to see what was up and... wow.

Elephant's Child: I think I'd be disingenuous in the extreme were I to say, Oh. I am sick of your comments telling me how you feel about my story. Thank you so much.

Anne: I don't know what to say. I started crying. Thought I would ruin my make up, then remembered, I'm not wearing any, so I kept crying. What greater compliment could one person have?

Brian: How has it come that I think of my fellow bloggers as my friends? We all manage to connect in a way that matters. It ain't your basic Facebook group. As I said, I'll be reading--so you KNOW I'll be reading your work.

Bruce: Yes. Well. You are dead on right. And for memoir, my gut is saying Mom. Leave my brother for the novel... The painting is very likely to help me with the angle because when I paint, I put the words into naptime. And I don't know what else to say other than thank you so much. (And I bet you and your wife are relieved that you don't have to do all that DANCING.)

Hey. I gotta have coffee and get myself together. I've never started a day with so much kindness aimed in my direction.

Carl said...

Write that book. fiction or not it will be you and your story where you need and want it to be. Keep painting. Sounds like you are doing great. Thanks for the plug too. That reminds me I have photos from last week to post, I need to get ready to shot snow with fall colors tomorrow if that works out, need to start painting in my studio.... and spend a little time with wenderina as she is home for the weekend between work trips.

Have a great weekend.

Erika C. said...

Here's to flying. I love the new look of your blog. You are on such a wonderful path. And you are an inspiration!

love,
Erika

Dave King said...

I dance on the edges of things, skating the curve between the yin and the yang, the dark and the light, where life and death touch.

Not the only beautiful passage, but the one I've picked out. It made a big impression on me.
And I'm with Carl. Write the book!

Elephant's Child said...

Comment the ninth: Birth of fairies made me smile for the child you were and smile again (through blurry eyes) for the woman you became. Thank you. Again.

Elephant's Child said...

Huckelberina Finn: You, and your summers by the lake, rock.

Anonymous said...

Jeannette here... major snowstorm (10+inches) on a landscape with fully leaved trees. No power at home and I am staying at a friend's. Somehow her ten block neighborhood was spared. My little state of Connecticut, here in the USA, had more than 750,000 out of power. It may be a week or longer until we have it back.

No painting. No blogging. sigh.... my life is over.

I miss reading. I have minimal access to my friend's computer, which is great, but not for working on my book. And the place is too small for working on my big paintings I have a notebook though! And books. And a friend with hot water, electricity, tv and a most generous heart.

I miss reading my blogs. And thank you all for your extraordinarily kind comments. Until I get my electricity back, take care one and all.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Having 30 new followers sign up in a short amount of time is tangible affirmation. Not that we'd stop writing without them, yet knowing they are there and choose to come back diminishes that sense of walking alone.

There have been times when, in a panic attack or something quite like one, I just repeat the word "love" over and over. It must have a healing, calming vibration.

We really are the only ones who know our path or our process; we certainly are the only ones who know what we have survived. Whether or not our story has been told, so many parts are experiential that we would need to invent words to describe them. My love and support to you in following whatever calls, in trusting you are in exactly the right place with all that you need. xo

Nancy said...

Thank you for this post. I'll come back and follow up on the ones I haven't read. I've been taking a bit of a sabatical from blogging as well. Sometimes we need to live our lives and it requires getting up from the computer. Good luck with your new endeavors. I'm sure whatever you are doing - it will be well done.

Ed Pilolla said...

lost my dad seven years ago. he spoke to each child alone. i have found there is an opportunity for a new relationship with the departed.
it's fun choosing or figuring out what and how to write what we want. i have often struggled to do photography and write alongside each other. i prefer doing one whole hog or the other, and lately it's been all writin'.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Thirty new followers is a sure sign you're doing something right :-) You've lead and interesting life with more than your share of ups and downs. There is so much here to launch your book I'll be interested to see the direction you take.

Write on! jj

Anonymous said...

i really think you should seriously consider publishing (if you havent already). you write so beautifully, with such emotion. happy creating in your art studio ... do let us have a peek into what you create!