A while back, one of my commenters pointed out that there are worse things than living on the edge of poverty. That reminded me of the story I wrote several entries ago about my dad and me, and how he would show me exactly how the money was handled and where it went. And all sorts of memories have been tumbling into my mind--new and old, alike. It has been two weeks of confusion, joy, and pain. But my dad clamors to be heard, so I write more. This is unedited stream of consciousness today because I want to quiet at least ONE of the cacophonous voices in my head!
Ostensibly, so many talks began around money...
When Dad finally got ahead, back in 1969, it was because he collected a pension in early retirement from the State and then started a new career in Education Administration as the Registrar of a local university. I think his example is another reason I have never been able to subscribe much to the idea that it's too late to start fresh after fifty. Even when he retired as Registrar at 67, he became an administrative consultant to the President of the university. He felt change was usually a good thing, not bad.
My Parents and Their Idea of Wealth
He and my mom faced potential poverty all the time. Sometimes they dipped into the wrong side of that line, but when they were financially secure, what did they do? Turn around and start helping other people when they could. Dad said, "Money is only as good as what you do with it. We have been helped along the way, so it's our turn to help others as we were."
They befriended a waitress at a local restaurant, helping her and her son as they could. Those two were with us for five Christmases, and Dad paid for her education at a local community college, then got her into the university on a scholarship two years later. We had strays at my parents' open house on Christmas Eve nights and we never quite knew what sort of person would appear next. I think they helped about a dozen people before they died.
I remember he asked my opinion about that. He wondered whether I thought he should give the money to the charities that helped people and explained to me that he and mom were a little selfish in wanting to do it this way. "We get to see the effect. But do you think we waste our money?"
I was shocked that he asked my opinion. He said, "Why wouldn't I? You have been through more than the others have and are more mature than any 32 year old I've known. You work in non-profits." That was when I felt like a grown up. I had not thought my parents had noticed much of anything about what my life was really like, or how I had coped with having three operations while I raised two stepchildren and tried to develop an opening for a career. However, I still did not care for the question.
I felt that it was entirely up to them and, in fact, I told him that if this was being selfish, then the world would be better off with a whole lot of selfish people like them. I did ask, "Daddy, I only worry about your getting into trouble spending the money. I know how tough things were when we were growing up."
He looked troubled. "We won't spend away your inheritance." I remember tearing up that he could think that's what I meant.
"DADDY. It's your money! I don't care if you leave us not one dime, don't you know that?"
He had the strangest look on his face, and rare tears were there, making his eyes shine dark, like Jacky's. "How is it that you and your sister have such different perspectives than your brothers? They talk about how they had nothing. You and your sister talk about how your mother gave up her comforts for all of you."
I think the boys never bothered to look; I don't know why. They saw the flaws, as did we all. They just didn't want to see the rest, I guess. Jack wanted to "out-Daddy Daddy" and deliberately went into education. He was mad when he was dying because he would never finish his book and he wanted to beat Dad at that. I suspect being boys in that family was harder in some ways. When my friend dated Jim (pre-memories, mind you) she bought t-shirts for all three: purple, with fancy white printing that said "the Father" "The Son" "The Holy Ghost." Funny. Each one knew which was which and they were PROUD of them; they were proud of their own egos.
Still, it bothered me that the boys never could see the sacrifices both parents made, just for us.
Spinning Gold Into Love
We talked about many things that day. He was was driving me to Boston for one of my "blood-lettings," as we called them. I used to get massive hematomas on my back after surgeries and would go to Boston every three days for a couple of weeks, so that the doctor could aspirate the surgical site and draw out all the old blood. It kept me from getting infections. My husband didn't like to take time off from work for my illness. It wasted too much time, he said. But Dad would sit there and hold my hand, and would grow very pale at the sight of the enormous needle and tube into which blood was literally sucked from the swelling.
We both knew those trips saved my life. It cemented a unique bond between us, as well.
My parents had no desire to be wealthy. Dad wanted Mom to get some things for herself, yes, when he changed jobs. When she'd finished her binge, though, they wanted mostly to "give back." Friends had helped them sometimes and all the friends had said was, "When times get better, don't pay us back. Just turn around and do it for someone else."
I realize that this was the prototype for how my friends and I work as well. There is about five thousand dollars total that seems to float around my circle of 10-15 women--sometimes in a thousand here and there, and sometimes the whole wad. My family and friends who celebrated Christmas Eve together would pick the person with the roughest year for the "Spoiling target"for the year. We would give them an outrageously large Christmas then and spoil them rotten. I learned from my parents that THIS was the REAL fun of the season, and of life.
Spinning Pain Into Love As Well
Why am I writing this tonight? It has been a difficult couple of weeks for me. I do not write that much about my back. I have had bizarre and terrifying experiences in the 1-2 month hospital stays. Lately, I have dreamed about the worst ones. And we are now in the season when I lost both parents. The final weeks of their lives. Mom died on February 16, and Dad died on the 26th. January was full of poignance. And two worst hospital stays were in the winter. I may write about those; possibly not.
But as I think of my parents and remember things to put in my book, I remember Daddy as well. We had an unusual relationship, I think. I was lucky enough to hear both of them talk about their own fears, their disappointments in themselves, not each other, and to hear about parts of their lives I am not sure most kids of my generation got to share.
My father was a womanizer; those of you who have followed my blog a couple of years know that already. He was famous for his business trips... We knew. Well. I knew. The boys remained blind until it was out in the open; denial was always their preference. Most mornings my dad sang one of two songs in the shower: Many Brave Hearts Are Asleep In the Deep or Ah Sweet Mystery of Life at Last I've Found You. On February 1st, when I was giving him some ice chips because eating was so awful for him, he took my hand.
"You know about the women, Jetty. Your mother could have left me. She should have, really. But don't think I did not love your mother. I DID. I DO. But you are too much like me. Don't learn everything the hard way."
I said, "Daddy. I have made big mistakes, but..."
"You are not happy with Mark. I see it all the time. He is not right for you. I know it. I just know it. Jetty, what are you going to do? Oh..." He was so agitated then, all I could do was stroke his forehead and the still thick and silky, silver hair.
He was quiet, but his cheeks were wet and his eyes were glossy, and almost black. "Why did it have to take me DYING Gawddamnit? Why couldn't I have listened to the Gawdamned WORDS, instead of my own voice? 'For tis love and love alone the world is seeking.' Jetty. Promise me you will hear those words. 'Tis the answer, 'tis the end and all of living.' I learned it all too late! Don't you, Jetty. Don't you."
Ah! Sweet Mystery Of Life
Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life
At last,I've found you.
Ah! At last I know the secret of it all.
For the longing, seeking, striving, waiting, yearning,
The burning hopes,
The joy and idle tears that fall.
For 'tis love and love alone,
The world is seeking.
And 'tis love and love alone,
That can repay.
'Tis the answer, 'tis the end and all of living,
For it is love alone that rules for aye.
(LAST STANZA REPEATED AND CLOSES WITH);
For it is love alone
I hear his basso profundo still; or, as I preferred to call it, his basso buffoono. I see his face, the tears. I feel his hands on my face, and see him looking for an answer. I am not sure he knew who I was in that searching.
All I said was, "I know, Daddy. I know."
He smiled and nodded, let go of my face and he slept.
And the Question and the Answer Were the Same
He and my mother, both. In the dying, turning to me to give me something all the while begging for a promise. The telling. The listening. To me. I was the writer. Of course it was to me.
Regardless of what came from moving lips, the sound from their souls was simple: love.
What more could any parents leave?
46 comments:
I was recently given a bookmark which sums up at least this aspect of your parents.
A pessimist sees a glass of water as being half empty,
An optimist sees the same glass as half full,
A giving person sees a glass of water and starts looking round for someone who might be thirsty.
As has become the norm, this post moved me to tears. Thank you.
I really, really hope you have placated one of the voices in your head with this beautiful post.
More people should have your parents' attitude of giving back. That's a true practice of love and gratitude.
Thank you. Yes, this WAS the way my parents were, EC. This is yet another reason I just couldn't go ahead and be angry with them all the time! And why I didn't want other parents, just my own.
Debra, I agree.
My mother was like your father in that she would always help people. I got that from her. My father on the other hand was very selfish, although he can see I'm not happy with the person I chose for my daughter's father.
They've both given me things to take with me on this life's journey.
Great post. Thanks.
Good post, lot of feeling in the prose. I can see we grew up in different ways. Parents can leave their kids tons of baggage,I am glad yours didn't. My father tried but being "Stupid" I refused to pick it up and carry it for him, it was his not mine.
Ah, walking man. I have only started looking at this great stuff relatively recently. It was a matter of seeing that there were reasons that I am some of the GOOD stuff I am because of them. Which is why the memoir matters to me--they did horrific things, and emotionally my father was an egocentric, selfish ... he was away a lot.
It is the balance and recognizing that I did not raise myself to be some of the good stuff. They were people whose assets were as dramatic as their failings.
Anne--I am so glad you liked the post. I think reading other blogs has helped me remember so much now, including wonderful things like this.
When you sit down and have these conversations with your ghosts, are you tempted to paint the scenes as well as write them?
Bruce, as a matter of fact, yes. BUT not in the way you might expect. And it is a little eery that you asked that today. There is a feeling I get sometimes from them. And I will dream a painting--this one is vivid and I just taped down the paper for it.
My first painting that I sold was from an episode with my dad. Sitting on his shoulders when he'd kidnapped me to go to the Lake to open up the cottage. I remembered that the world was pink and the lake bluer than blue. I remember being ecstatic being on top of the whole world. And I painted how the scene looked to my five0-year-old mind. I had nearly died of kidney failure and pneumonia--aftermath of measles. And Daddy took me away to have me to himself. What Dads did that back then?
So, yup. I am tempted to paint--but I am not sure people would realize the paintings were gifts from the ghosts.
Powerful people have powerful flaws.
I loved every bit of this piece. If only there were more people like your father in the world.
I'm going to be thinking about this for a while...
Pearl
Thanks, Pearl. More people like both of them in this respect.
And they WERE powerful in their personalities and their curiosity and intellects. And generosity and a NEED to help people were qualities that knit them together, passionately.
I wish I had their power and passion--or maybe I do. I got mired in some situations that made me have to focus on survival is all. And I landed on the wrong side of poverty for some time. That's not their fault!
I'm glad you loved the post. As I said, I sat down and just wrote. And did not edit.
Another very well written aspect of your very complex family. Your father was indeed complex. Selfless charity, and yet what is more selfish than infidelity. I find myself wanting to rap him upside the head and say straighten out, you are a wonderful human being--don't screw it up. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, your family is going to have some damned interesting karma.
Excellent piece as always!
You made me laugh outright. I once SAID to my father, "I wanna rap you upside the head, you old Fart! Grow the hell up!" About the karma, I am often wondering what the hell I did in my previous life that I must have the same life lessons hurled at my head repeatedly, even when I LEARNED the bloody lessons the first or at least SECOND time around in this life.
And yet, my life is beautiful.
So, poor things, perhaps they will get a life like mine!
I LOVE the idea of a spoiling target. Consider it copied:)
I really enjoy your family stories.
Oh Jeannette, this is so rich, so evocative, lovingly narrated. Thank you for sharing your dad with us.
A fascinating insight into your parents' beliefs.
My parents' beliefs were a puzzlement for me, and that's for sure. They were, as most people are, a mass of contradictions. And this is why I think of childhood as living in a rain forest... Thank you, as always, Dave, for reading and commenting.
LealShine -- Yeah, we like the spoiling target a lot. Copy away!
Rosaria --I always appreciate your support. Thank you.
Bruce Coltin -- I have been thinking. Mostly, I think of shooting a movie when I have my conversations with my ghosts! I realized that as I was working on the book today. Sometimes a painting springs up fully blown, but mostly I see it in scenes, with backgrounds and close ups and such. Weird.
For those of you who remember this ... it's only a movie. It's only a movie...
Gives me the distance to write what hurts, I think, though the writing pours from the heart.
To explain one's self to an adult child, not in a defensive way but for clarity seems a rare communication. My grandparents, with whom I spent a lot of time, were those giving people. While I only write pieces of what would be called memoir, I realize that as I evolve my perspective changes. The facts may remain the same but what they mean - or don't mean - alters. You have set yourself a sizable task, and am glad to read of so much support from your followers. Let me add mine. xo
Thank you for sharing both the bad and the good. I so enjoyed reading about the love they left you with.
De niños vemos a nuestros padres como a dioses, después poco a poco vamos viendo su parte humana hasta que acabamos comprendiéndonos o buscándonos a nosotros mismos a través de posar nuestra mirada en ellos. Saludos.
A really well done portrait here. not overly romantic or tough either. Seems like the kind of work that only be done after the passage of enough time. We really are the best and worst portraits of ourselves. It sounds like you have found the good and useful bits in both sides.
What an amazing story, or rather, set of stories. I can see this story filling more than one book . . .
There is so much power in your writing, and you write with such love, and yes, forgiveness too. I know both your parents must have been so very proud of this daughter, you. Seems much of their positive qualities still lives on in you. Few are one dimentional, either all good or all bad, it is mostly the PERCENTAGE of goodness we carry that defines how our lives are spent. It appears to me your parents spent both of their's extremely well.
Marylinn--The perspective I have now has SO much mellowed and allowed me to open the door to the good they had and were... and I see the healthy parts of my roots. And, yes, my followers are the reasons I have found the courage to use my voice to believe I can write the book.
Shattered--well. I Am touched.Thank you so much.
Leovi--when I translated what you said, I could not agree more. Moving from seeing my parents as Gods or, a bit later, caricatures of themselves was far worse than seeing their humanity. I have learned much more about who I am for seeing who they TRULY were--all of them.
Carl--Thanks. Writing about Dad is trickier sometimes, actually. But there he was!
Nin--I think you are right. The challenge has been to pick ONE aspect of my story and focus on that, leaving other stories for other times. Thank you so much.
Shrinky--They did spend the majority of their time spending the best of themselves well. As they both admitted, the enormity of how their failings played out, was a source of haunting guilt. I am so lucky that they, at the end, turned around and used that love they had to FACE those flaws and talk to any child who cared to listen.
To ALL who leave comments! I don't know whether you all realize what your support has and does mean to me. It keeps me doing even a LITTLE on days when sitting is torture for more than fifteen minutes at a time. The last two weeks have had more days like that than "normal" days.
It will pass, but this circle of bloggers--we all follow so many of the same people--is a very special group of people.
They say artists create in solitude. ONLY TO A POINT. We need other artists--the art feeds us, and the support sustains us.
Big hugs.
I think the best part about this is that you loved and accepted your father as he was. You didn't ignore his flaws, you spoke of them and despite that I can see the overwhelming love and admiration you had for him.
We all make our own mistakes.
I love the idea of having money float around for those in need. And I love being able to give back. It is a good reminder for me.
I think it is very hard to see your parents as real fallible people. No matter how well you understand it on an intellectual level I think it is often impossible to see them in a true light.
I'm one of five and am amazed at one of my sisters who is just starting to see traits in my father at 90 that my other siblings and I have seen for decades.
I'm fortunate and blessed to have siblings who are so giving. This Christmas they decided not to buy one another gifts, but give the money they would have spent on one another to me. I still get choked up and cry when I think of their generosity and realize my parents taught us well.
I've just been reading my first post of yours - what a place to jump in, I feel like - not an eavesdropper - but privy to your heart. You have a wonderful way of describing your parents and your relationship with your father, very special indeed.
As for writing about illness, I am aware that some blogs are devoted to medical dramas and hospital stays, and I generally don't read them, finding them awkward and somehow, self-serving. I like the way you touched on your experiences but didn't put them centre stage. They are part of who we are, but not what defines us.
Thanks for visitng my corner of Exile and please return soon.
Best wishes, Isabel
I know it can be hard deciding whether to write about one's pain (mental and physical) but I think using a blog to let off steam about it occasionally, so long as it doesn't become too much of a whinge, is really useful. Apart from it helping the blogger it can help the reader to know they aren't alone.
PS Thanks for joining my blog!
That G'L: Thank you. I sure make plenty of mistakes.That's part of what made me try to understand my parents as people the older I got.
Laoch: I don't feel it's impossible to see parents in a true light IF and ONLY if they allow us the opportunity AND we take that opportunity. I was lucky; both parents did the hard thing of letting us in. Thank you so much for following my blog.
Little Ms: Yes, it can be amazing at how differently two siblings can experience and look at our parents, or any event, for that matter! Mind boggling.
Isabel: Yes, quite a place to jump in, but thank you jumping anyway and following. My blog DOES get weighted down by my memories and such, but for me, part of this experience is about learning to write with some balance. Trying out my voice...
Scriptor: I have deleted some older posts because they WERE whining jags and I did not like them. And I can well imagine that some of my entries will be too self-involved. But sometimes, especially after reading more upbeat, lighter blogs like yours and others', I lighten up to write of other things. But this blog was started to begin to write about experiences in a way that might be accessible to other people. And I hope it is.
To my new followers, I will be visiting your new blogs often. REading the work of others always enriches my own, and/or makes me think.
Thinking is good ... I think...
What a wonderful read this was - it is good that your dad, despite his failings, loved you enough to include you in his decision making that way. He left a lot of good behind him. I know how strange memories can be. Sometimes they come back in a rush of realism, though I am told often enough by my siblings that "it didn't happen that way," to know that memory is subjective. Good luck with your memoir writing - I am finding it both cathartic and disturbing.
My experience as a parent is to have felt the purest love, love for children.
they were saying it all along in their own way, weren't they?
just today, peter, a poet on the west coast of canada, came and wrote this to me: "Time is a terrible, brutal illusion. We are made to suffer it only in order to effect the changes love can bring to the Universe, I think." i've been thinking about this. i'll be thinking about this a whole lot more.
such deep living and thinking and being in your family, jeannette. what formidable and special people.
xo
erin
Powerful words from Peter, Erin! Thank you.
Leovi, inDEED I think the love I have for my children has been the purest love in my life.
Pauline--cathartic and disturbing. Well put. I find it exhausting some days.
Great post about poverty. I have a few memories from my childhood that make me think that my mum and dad were very poor - although I never knew when I was a kid.
Hi, finally got to pay a visit long enough to leave a comment!
That was a great post - funny how some children are the ones that get told the truth - the ones who will understand, I guess.
Also interesting that you note how different children remember childhood in different ways. It is certainly true from my experience.
This was a wonderful and deeply moving post. I think I will be thinking about the words here for some time to come. Our parents were not perfect in their perfection.
Why would parents have to be considered infallible? They are no better or worse than any other human being.
What I have always found very sad is that they - and we too, possibly - 'tell' others how to live and what is important rather than to 'live' it so that they may learn by example.
Why do we not learn until we are on our death bed?
I think we have truly become adults when we realize that our parents are not infallible...and that we can accept that. Thank you for sharing this moving and memorable story.
I've always thought of "Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life" in terms of Madeline Kahn and Blazing Saddles. Never has it brought tears to my eyes as it did here.
Wonderfully told story.
Nice memories of your parents. I wish my parents spoke more about money than they did. I talk some about it to my daughter, but probably not nearly enough. However, my parents did teach empathy and showed the importance of helping others, and when i see such behavior in my daughter (which I often observe) I am happy.
hey sorry i was here earlier and could not comment for some reason...i love what they each shared with you..someone else commented about learning on our death bed...i guess as much could be said of our ability to listen and live it out when we hear it...my parents were def loving and supportive...hard...there was much they never taught me though that was left for me to learn on my own...and it seemed once i was out of the house we had much more open conversations...
Ah. Not Blazing Saddles, Kass. I was wrong too! It was Young Frankenstein!
Dicky and ds, thank you so much for visiting.
Brian, a few times I took the post off because I was messing with some gadgets and copyright stuff. Besides, you don't have to comment on every post--though it touches me that you do. My most open conversations ultimately were when I was long out of the house. Although, yes, they let me in an awful lot in ways that other kids did not get. Thank you.
Sage--it MUST be so good to see such a quality handed down through the generations. I have lots of good memories--they outweigh the horrors.
Rock Chef, I will never fully understand why my siblings chose not to sit and listen to my parents, or to ask them hard questions. It's too bad... although, since I am the only one left now, perhaps it is fate. I don't know.
Nancy, I have missed you. Thank you so much for your comments here and on other posts. It means the world to me.
I fell in love with your father and I know I'll fall for your mother when I find her reveiled in another post.
Wonderful site Jeannette
I am struck in your writing, by your writing, how uniquely we choose each moment. You attend to your father with great beauty and detail, and I feel him and know him with you, through you. I feel your strength, harvested from the pain planted in your life.
Don's father, in the hospital where my mother-in-law recuperated, also wept this way when he recognized how much we all cared, as if suddenly, only then, did he know it. There is something so heartbreaking about that. We must communicate our love every day.
Kisi ka koi massage na
aana bhi ek massage hai, satta king
Post a Comment