Accidental Spring

Accidental Spring
"Accidental Spring" This began as the background for painting other papers, but became something else!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

On Writing My Memoir

I am finding that some truly beautiful experiences are coming back to me, the more I write.  I find that my mother's sweetness knows no bounds, now that I remember the rest. That is such a gift, but I realize it is a gift I will need in order to address the worst of her. It was not liquor. It was psychotic breaks. And I am at a loss as to how to write of them, yet I will have to.

Writing ugly is not easy when you lived a life of oh-so-lovely denial. When I was in college I painted a picture of beauty about my home life, except for the fact that my mother drank. I did not speak of any dark times in childhood, however. My story with her always began in high school, out of thin air. All was beauty and magic, if you listened to me talk about my childhood. The only horrors were at school.

We do that. I also spoke of my relationship with my older brother as special and tragic. He was the whipping boy, the innocent too often blamed for everything. I was his defender. And I was, as it happens. Again, this is so often the case. I tutored him in French for all his high school years. He was fifteen and I was ten! It was after the rape, after he tried to sell me so he could by some "buck" shoes, like Pat Boone's. I had no memory of that. After all, by the time I was fifteen myself, I had turned instant burial into an artform. If the memory was not to my liking I simply denied its existence, like some reject factory part on an old-time conveyor belt.  I was afraid for him, and bought into the family line when the New York police were looking for him on drug charges. He was framed, my parents said. They got him to hide out in New Hampshire.

Every holiday season for three or four years, the police would stop by. It got so I would be the one to answer the door and invite them in for coffee or cookies. A standing "joke." Finally, when my brother as married and wanted to come out of hiding, my parents took him with their lawyer to New York and the charges were dropped. He was terrific at posing as a good, reformed family man.

Only he was guilty. And years later, I found out that Jim's discharge from the army was dishonorable. All those bouts of illness when we had not heard from him? The brink. He was court-martialed for bribing an officer.

My family, like so many others, simply acted on the premise that if you say everything is perfect often enough, then everyone will believe it to be so. This was never clearer than the years I tried to tell the truth about my mother, during high school. She primed the school with the "fact" that I was a liar, prone to fantasy. While that was not entirely false, it was not the truth when I tried to get help to deal with Mom. By then her bouts were every morning, before I went to school, and by the time I got home, she was often so drunk that she was barely conscious. Then she would, for no apparent reason, have several months of sobriety, just long enough for me to hope, but short enough for me to be wary at the same time.

I could not begin to look at the whole truth as I knew it, until it impacted my own children. Until I had to, to keep from repeating the tale in my own life's story, too.

Ugliness and great pain is an underpinning for our love story that has to run through the whole. I have spent a great deal of time writing of the many gifts she gave me, and that's the truth. And you know she drank, but sometimes we have to show not tell, as the cliché goes. I know that, too. The funny thing about moving beyond the pain to the beauty is that sometimes I just do not WANT to remember what happened! While this is not a bad thing at ALL in how I lead my life, it's not as good for the writing of the tale.

Mom wouldn't want me to leave it out. I know that for sure. In my core. In my soul. How do you tell the story of a small child, too young to bathe on her own? How do I relate the moving blur of the NOT Mommy face as she tipped my head beneath the surface to  rinse the shampoo out? I see her eyes go dead and cold just as the water closed over my own entirely. I see the moving glare of the light and feel myself struggle beneath her hands. I can feel the pain on my heel as I kicked and connected with porcelain, and feel the struggle not to breathe, feel the pain as the light grew dim.

Suddenly I am sitting and I hear the sucking as she pulls me out too quickly and  she misjudges and my head just catches the faucet. I see the pink creep through the water as I cough and cough forever, and I hear my mother. "Oh, my GOD, oh NO, oh, NO! Oh, GOD. My Jetty, oh, NO! I'm so sorry!"

She is crying and pulls me to her, but I pull back just a little, to see her eyes, but she is there. Her sweet sky eyes full of tears and she holds me and we cry.

And later she is in her chair, unable to speak, the bottle of amber on her table. Jean Ellen puts me to bed. Mother will not rise until too late for church on Sunday. Daddy is away on a "quick business trip." I remember Jean Ellen tucks me in and she has her worried puppy face. Her brow would pucker instead of wrinkle. She reads a long story and already the horror has dimmed, and all I know is my mother's eyes when she held me close to her.

***
That is the story, too. And it is every bit as much our story as the elves and the drinking and the summers and Christmases of joy. It is my story with her, and my ultimate joy that we had our truths with one another at the end.

And so I write it all for the first time. As I remember it. My truth, which I know was hers. Ironically, alcohol numbed her in a way that did not allow the psychotic breaks. She never raised a finger to us when she drank. She said most of her pain left her when she drank.

And what I feel at last is the pain I know as a mother myself, and how it must have felt when she snapped out of the break and saw what she had done. No one loved a daughter more than she loved me. She hated the monster she could not name, this illness no one could name back then. I know how hard she tried to fight it, to fight an illness over which she had no control at all. I know how much she hated herself.

As I move forward with the book, it is so hard to find the balance in the work. It hurts to write her dramatic and sometimes horrific failures. Yet without them, her magnificence and her strength are lessened. She succeeded more often than she failed, and I cannot under-value the strength she had, nor the toll her tortured life took on her most of all. So I try on the pain again, now strong enough so that it cannot stick any more. It cannot offer more pain, though it can scratch an old wound to discomfort.  I hold all her beauty on the other scale, and its weight is ten times the pain. The wound will not open; only the love.

How I miss her still.


***** DIFFERENT Note, for now: Please check out Waystation One, for 1/23/20122's poem

33 comments:

Pearl said...

They say that the writing teaches us. I think you are a testament to this.

Well done.

Pearl

EcoGrrl said...

do you remember the book 'she's come undone'? i think what you are going to tell us all will more than eclipse that great work. not kidding. i'm so excited for you and so spurred on by your efforts to make more of my own universe, my own words. xo my blog sista

JeannetteLS said...

EccoGrrl, that particular compliment brought tears to my eyes. I have no idea, Sista, what my mom's and my story will tell anyone. I just know that it's a story I want to tell, and I want to do it from the soul and artist of me. And we'll see what happens!

One of my friends is afraid I will be all written out because I am telling so much in my blog. And I said to her that this was, for me, the inspiration that moves me forward. It's one thing to write disparate stories and memories. It is another to weave the story of it all. To find the rhythm, what to include, what to simply touch lightly.

It's exciting and scary. And in my blog, I let my fears out, and I let them fly off into the universe AWAY from me.

Thank you so much EcoGrrl.

And Pearl, I know I am learning as I write all the time.

Elephant's Child said...

I am always thrilled to see that you have put up another post.

What you are drawing for me is a woman balanced on scales. Too much sweetness throws her out of balance, too much of the heavier pain does the same. Both are necessary.

It is easier in many ways to only paint the pretty picture - but it is dishonest. And dishonesty is not healing. Clean scsrs need not be reopened but the wound itself needs to be open to the air and healing.

Bruce Coltin said...

Are you familiar with Long Day's Journey Into Night? The play is Eugene O'Neill's masterpiece, written about his family. I once heard it compared to a piece of music, built on a rhythm made from the constant repetition of pain and forgiveness.

Your story -- different though it is -- reminds me of that play. Perhaps there's a bit of O'Neill in you.

Dave King said...

My thoughts as I read this were running along the same lines as Pearl's, it seems. You appear to have derived great benefit from the exercise of committing your memories to paper, which is good and certainly most deserved. We, too, I am sure, have benefited.

JeannetteLS said...

Elephant's Child--Thank you. I have a partly written novel that I stopped when my daughter died. I could not keep her character from intruding, so I simply put it away. However, that was the third attempt in my The Three Bears attempt. the first as a novel in which, by page fifty it was all so lovely and insipid I just really didn't care WHAT my characters did. The second was so heavy, dark and angst-ridden, well, at the same point I simply figured the woman had to kill herself. No way out. But that third? It is in a box in my bedroom, near the computer. We shall see.

Bruce. Well. I don't know what to say. I hope there is some O'Neill in me. Yes, INDEED I know that play.

Dave. If I do not "publish"; if I do no more than complete the book to the best of my ability, I will be the richer for it. And if what I write benefits anyone at all, that will be SOMETHING to me. The writing is enough, when I shut down the clamor in my head!

Kass said...

You are so generous in your forgiveness and love.

MOV said...

great post-- wow. very moving. I write about pretty things because I am afraid my readers do not want the dirty and the ugly and the nitty gritty depths of my own childhood. It is easier sometimes to just dismiss the past and try to reinvent yourself and your reality. wish I had your courage.

best,
MOV

JeannetteLS said...

MOV, this is the thing I'm trying to walk away from--worrying about the reader as I write. And now I need to learn how to do it without shock value, mindful of what it is I need and want to say of the ugliness--no more and no less.

Isn't life a hoot? And how good to be at a point where I am talking about writing such things--the living of them is long since past.

Ben Ditty said...

Wonderful depth to this post. I would say in response that the real beauty is not in words so much as telling your story and laying your heart bare.

JeannetteLS said...

Thank you Ben. Thanks so much.

orchid0324 said...

Hello, Dearest Jeannette.
First of all, I must confess and also made me realised that your intelligent writing stunned me☆☆☆
Some phrases I cannot figure out w
ell with my low English capacity. What a writer you are!!!
I was moved by the last paragraph, which you depicted your love for your mother you shared with us by using the wonderful phrasing.

And your friend said about "laying your heart bare". I sometimes find that blog friends kindly hear my grumbling p;)

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments for me. you pointed out very well about my hubby,haha.

Love and Lots of Hugs to you, xoxo Miyako*

Brian Miller said...

nice...writing will do that...and just based on what you write here. i imagine this is going to be an incredible work...dont worry about being all used up...i have a feeling you wont have to worry about that...smiles.

Friko said...

Perhaps you know that I too am writing a memoir of the first decade of my life. The more I write and think, the more the pictures rise in front of my eyes.

It is important to let them rise, to see them with the benefit of hindsight, to see them clearly, without fancy dressing up.

Good luck to you.

Of course you may use my pictures for your artwork but if you use them anywhere else, I would like to be mentioned as the photographer.

Louise Gallagher said...

Jeannette, I am grateful you came to visit me today as you lead me here. to this place where words and beauty and memory weave together to tell a tale of love. and in that Love is life -- in all its messed up, inside out and upside down and turned all around beauty.

Thank you.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

In a lot of ways you are keeping your mother real and honest, to you and her and everyone else. I think you're brave to revisit these places and wish you the most fundamental of success within yourself. It's probably because of her beauty and light that makes the dark parts even harder to look at.

Linera Lucas said...

Great post on denial, really rang true for me.

JeannetteLS said...

Louise and Linera, thank you so much for stopping in. Anyone else, they are two bloggers I have just found today.

Friko, orchid, Brian, Kerry--as always, thank you for your support.

Funny. For so long I did not see half her beauty for all the pain that was trapped or that I had blocked. That age old thing where if you obliterate the weaknesses, you often lose the strengths. It's the telling of the dark that catches in the throat. That's okay.

Writing is a journey, like any other art!

Shattered said...

Writing really is healing, isn't it? And a wound that no longer opens... you are doing well.

Keep writing!

Ed Pilolla said...

in some box is a draft of something about growing up with some issues of abuse in my family and my going through therapy at the time. what i didn't know was that writing it was much of the therapy.

someone told me stories are like worms in our head and we can only write them out. thanks for sharing your journey. i can't imagine how intimidating writing about the inner circle might be in a blog, but i do know how empowering these truths are to be written.

i'm eager to follow you to publication, of whatever kind. my father is always with me. his spirit strengthened me to write the memoir. so i feel ya:)

you handle this material with skill. you don't hold back edgy details, and you provide depth with your vision from here and now. she carried a burden.

JeannetteLS said...

Thank you, Ed. I have just signed up to take an eight week course dealing with memoir writing. It handles certain writing issues that I am particularly interested in dealing with--as in combining or creating a character for legal issues.

My story is personal. One person is alive. As are that person's children. I do know that we can invent a character if need be.

I'm also looking forward to the 8 weeks of disciplined work. One produces and goes over things. It's run by a writer whom I respect and worked for on a now defunct, but then well-known Sunday magazine. The person through whom I must register was his deputy editor. The radio show where the subject was dealt with was the weekly show of a columnist I knew.

Kismet.

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Memories, ugly or lovely, I find the more I write the more they come.

Ruth said...

There is great love in opening arms wide to all the truth. Thank you for your example of this deep work, for loving your mother so well. Strength and patience to you through the journey.

the walking man said...

Writing the best parts of a truth is easy, the words are flora and fauna of the forest. Yet we al kow that underneath that new green growth is rot and decay. It is not so easy to write of t unless you realize that without the rot there would have been nothing fertile for the new, the clean and green to grow in.

You have vocabulary, know the words but I am asking myself now about courage, not knowing you or any more about you than this single post kiddo only you know if you have the courage to show what it was that renews the garden every year.

Be Well

mark

Nin Andrews said...

I think it's interesting how having your own children changes how you see your past . . .

Great post!

Little Ms Blogger said...

Your writing is raw, honest, but written with such grace. You definitely know how to give a clear picture of horrible events, letting the reading sympathize without being afraid to read more. That is a fine line and a great gift to have. Just sorry you had to live through those experiences.

G-Man said...

Don't be chicken...
Central Character...Plot..55 Words
Come see me next Friday
You are officially invited!!
It's challenging, it's creative, and most of all...FUN!!!
Think about it....G-Man

Sage said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and for sharing this. Wow, it's heavy. While I do think you'll enjoy Ray's "Ecology of a Cracker Childhood" book, other memoirs that you might also learn from include Mary Karr's works and Jen Knox's Musical Chairs. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

Sextant said...

Jette,

I never know whether to cry, laugh, or shoot myself when I read your posts. They are so honest, so heart rendering, and so well written that they just rip your Soul to shreds.

Another excellent post. Your book is going to be a masterpiece.

JeannetteLS said...

Peaches: I find the same thing. The problem is that these last two weeks, memories have flooded faster than I can write them. And I'm not sure that I want to write nothing but that in here!

Ruth: Thank you. Haven't been feeling strong the last week or so, but I'm working on it.

Mark: I think I have the courage. It's the perseverance on the days when sitting even is too painful... That's been a real issue the last ten days. Thank you for visiting!

Nin: Thanks. Yes, having children was what started the WHOLE process. My son found me in my closet, hiding from a brother who was not there!

Little Miss Blogger: Thank you so much! I am sorry I had to live it, but, then, since I DID live it, I just hope I can do something worthwhile with it all.

G-Man: We'll see. I may still be clucking, but we'll see.

Sage:I've written down the other others, but sometimes I like reading memoirs that have an activist bent! I just like memoir, period.

Sextant: My friend. I would rather you don't shoot yourself, if you don't mind. I'm glad to read your blog again--it really made me laugh and the ending was so worth the ride!

To ALL the new and "regular" people who stopped by, thanks so much. You all made a tough week easier.

Nancy said...

You are an incredible writer, Jeanette. This is going to be a blockbuster of a book.

Sattakingin said...

satta king ki kisi ko aapki zarurt
khatm ho gai hai.