I think I have written before about what I try to do every New Year's Eve, but what the heck. I will write about it again...
Last Year Is Done: Let Go of Missteps, Keep the Grace
I take a serious, long look at the year that is ending, reading the goals to move toward a more desirable path, and trying to honestly see how far along I have moved in that path and whether or not it remains a valid guide for what comes next. I also write down every single misstep I believe I have taken with somewhat brutal honesty at times.
Then I read those missteps aloud, pausing after each and I systematically tear up the list into as tiny pieces as I can and I throw them away. Sometimes I put the day's coffee grounds on top of them, just so that I feel I have thoroughly obliterated them.
Finally, I write what I feel I have accomplished on the left side of a piece of paper, as well as all the good things that I feel have happened TO me--the serendipitous gifts, or points of grace. Some years I have had a terrible time finding either, but more often I find that it's easier to list points of grace than accomplishments. I tend to minimize my role in anything good. I have noticed this in the last three years, most particularly; I had far less trouble finding my flawed acts than giving myself credit for anything.
Bit by bit, though, I got better at that. In 2010 I managed not to blame the house not selling on me. I gave myself credit for readying the house for market, for making some progress in some self-destructive obsessive behaviors, and for forgiving myself. Never before had I listed that as a positive accomplishment, but I finally saw that I would have appreciated this in other people--why not myself? But enough about 2010. It was a terrifying and painful and difficult year.
2011 began differently. The list of graces was enormous, but I saw that I felt I had accomplished a lot as well. I had returned to my blog, exceeding my target of 26 entries for the year. I had finished two more paintings and have five in the works. I let go of worrying about how much money I would have after paying off all my debts if the house sold. I changed the dynamic of a relationship that was truly codependent. I found the core and the structure for my book. I began to exercise again, if somewhat sporadically so far. All of my baby steps had added up to something.
Baby Steps Matter! From Broad Strokes to Filling In the Details...
I have overlooked the baby steps so often in my life, not recognizing that they added up to moving along a path I valued. The path? To live more creatively and closer to the bone of Jeannette. Who I am, rather than someone I think other people will approve of or like. Living my life out of loving rather than being loved. (That's a kicker, and I cannot say that I come close to living that way, but it's a pretty worthy goal I think.) That little girl who kept company with the mice in the traps, who talked to them and loved them who somehow got it that loving things was an answer to something scary ... she was only three and understood how to do that. In some ways, the path I wrote down to work toward in 2012 is hers. The path is the elementary school girl who wrote her first poems in free verse. The girl who saw a foster child with scanty clothing and asked her mother whether they could do something to help, and then helped her. My path is the same as the middle school girl who completed her first "real painting" of three faces of women, crying out for help in her art, crying out through the false smile, the anger, the scream--but no one heard. They saw the skill but ignored the voice. My path is to write and to paint my soul, to do my best to be felt and seen and heard--but to do it for the act of the doing.
Those were the broad strokes I wrote for moving forward. I do tend to find writing some specific steps helps me to get started in every year, though I don't label them resolutions. While I put the broad strokes as the start of the right side of my paper, I always follow it with specific actions. That's all I call them, rather than telling myself they are resolutions.
I recognize that taking care of my health issues must be included, or I won't be able to do a damned thing. I start with them because they are the least interesting to me--this year, just getting to the apartment gym once a week and to ride my own recumbent bike at least an hour a week are enough for someone who has been bedridden for so many hours a day.
I want to have at least 52 blog entries this year. I don't say once a week, since that would set me up for failure if there is a week I don't get to it. But this year I DID get ambitious, for once. I simply put WRITE THE BOOK, yes, in BIG lettering. I did not put write the finished product, nor publish it. I just have to write it now. (Bruce, you are so right. Most of it is written in my head or in my blog, but I have to put it in a compelling, readable form. The whole thing. Period.)
Finally, I wrote "start and complete at least three new paintings." That may not seem like many, but since I also put "Finish partly done paintings," that means I would wind up with ten completed paintings, at least. I keep finding partly done paintings that I had forgotten about entirely, from 2009 and early 2010. I had had to dismantle my studio early in 2010 because I was readying the place to sell. They remained packed up and hidden until I moved. When I put up my Christmas tree, I found another nest of them!
Age, Schmage (or Old, Schmold, if You Like)
I had begun this year's list with the intention of giving myself a schedule, but I cut to the chase instead. I may have the same list next year, or I may not. But in reading the list of accomplishments and graces of last year aloud, I realized that I felt like having myself shoot for the stars. Why dream little?
I will be sixty this year. I did not think of my parents as old at sixty. My mom hit that age when I was twenty-five, so it was not unreasonable for my friends to think it was old. What I saw in my parents, though, was that they both had minds like steel traps and, when she was sober, my mom had an insatiable curiosity about just about everything--except things that had to do with popular culture. Dad became Registrar of a university when he was sixty, after changing careers five years before. They were not over. When my health took such a terrifying turn in January of 2009, and so many dreams blew up in my face, I had started to let those thoughts of "getting old" and being "washed up" creep in through the cracks where my soul had been bleeding.
I allowed myself to start to believe that the best years of my life were behind me. Why? Because I was in acute pain? Because an old love had been used my heart then thrown it and me away, like garbage? Because I was poor? Because I had lost my career or any hope of regaining that particular career I'd built over ten years? Because I had to go through the humiliating process of applying for Disability? Because I knew I had to lose my home? Because my son had become increasingly withdrawn and depressed, and there was not a thing I could do? Well, yeah! Because of all those things.
Fine. I had reasons to be depressed, to be fearful, to be stuck. So what? I realized at the end of 2010 that none of those things had anything to do with being old, or being done. I have no idea what snapped me to attention, but I do know that something practical and tangible--winning my disability hearing and having the judge lambast the board that denied me turned me around. How crass, one might say. Well, when you are penniless and have to rely on a credit card and the kindness of your friends to put food on the table, having an independent income, no matter how meager, changes your life.
I got unstuck in 2011. I made reachable, small goals for myself last year. I met every single one of them, and have you any idea how good that made me feel last night?
Why Dream Little? My Mantra, Perhaps...
So I am dreaming BIG this year. And I actually yelled at a friend who talked about our being old and how we had to accept that from here on opportunity is for the young. It made me angry because I feel as if, once again, I am just getting started. I had to start from scratch when my husband took off when I was forty. I was on disability and had been for almost a decade. I had to start to build a career from almost NOTHING. I did it. And here I am, twenty years later, having to start from scratch in a different way, so I will do it.
It isn't about the poverty; it's about having a sense of purpose. I have that now, and I have some financial security for a couple of years, at least. Who could ask for more than that? I am a lucky woman; I keep writing that, I know. But I feel it all the way through, and I think it is a healthy way to feel. It's up to me not to squander this opportunity I have.
An old friend, told me that all he wanted for me was to be able to get up each day and choose whether I wanted to write or to paint, or whether I needed to simply rest because of my back. He said he wanted me to be able to choose how I lived my days without having to be so worried all the time. Well, his wish for me has come true, and I did not think it would.
I have an exciting year ahead to look forward to. I find the thought of being sixty kind of freeing. I am not sure why yet, but undoubtedly I'll babble about it at some point. My "other big sister," Nancy will be seventy. She's not old, either. She volunteers in two organizations, works part-time because she wants to, travels to marvelous places--in another year, she's going to go to the Polar Bear town in Alaska... My Aunt in Alaska's 97. Yes, she IS old, but I love listening to the wanderings of her mind when we talk.
She begins on one topic about a friend, then skips all over the place, but if I wait long enough, she always returns to the place she started... and it's always a marvelous ride along the way. Hmmm... I think that's the whole point to living creatively, perhaps. The ride's as important as the destination, maybe more so.
END of this ramble. Happy New Year! (I may revise this three or four times after I publish, but I just want to put it out there and start on my goals NOW.)
11 comments:
Celebrating baby steps...brilliant and more needed in this world. I look back and see the mental steps I've taken, the opportunities I've let slip by, and the chances I've been given to make things right - and my god, how far I've come yet how far behind I still feel...
I agree, EcoGrrl. And until I started actually writing down what I felt I had done and KEEPING the years' results, I had no frame of reference for myself. I have kept the last eight years only, so it helped me so much.
I think what we need to do is to maybe stop wording things that set us up to see the negative, you know what I mean? "How far behind I still feel..." BOY, do I identify with that feeling. That's why I am trying so very hard to rip up the negative stuff every year, and keep only those lists of accomplishments and graces right next to my blueprint for the coming year.
Thank you for always reading and commenting ... It means the world to me. I left out a goal: reading and commenting on OTHER BLOGS at least four hours a week. It's doable and then some.
It's also rewarding.
I love it when I see that you have a new post for me to read, think about, and probably comment on. If you are aiming for 52 posts this year, then that is 52 times you will have made me happy.
And I so agree about the importance of baby steps. I am my own harshest critic, and I need to slowly and carefully give my self some room. And some credit as well.
Thank you for another thought provoking post.
I don't know what to say, E.C., other than that may just be one of the most wonderful compliments I've ever had. I'm tearing up as I write... It's never occurred to me that my writing might make someone happy, or that I was particularly thought-provoking.
Talk about being one's harshest critic! I feel that way about you all, but God forbid I should see it in myself.
So. You are entirely welcome!
I have a friend who is 75 and who just walked the Camino pilgrimage route in Spain. I agree with you -- OLD SCHMOLD! May 2012 be a great year for you!
My aunt in Alaska was a little down when she was 87 and she and her 92-year-old husband realized that they had to stop with the international hiking. Their final hike had been the Great Wall of China. You BET old, schmold. My body may not be able to do things like that, but I'll be damned before the prevailing age-ist clap-trap our culture pushes at us will ever again find an opening to get at my soul!
I think this is one of the reasons I NEED friends who are older than I and who have a passion for life, for learning, for anything at all IN their lives. Thanks Debra.
nice...def those baby steps add up....and i am glad you are dreaming...the loss of purpose is far worse than the poverty for sure...
"Living my life out of loving rather than being loved. "
Oh yes - that's hard but such a worthy endeavor. Such an insightful post!
Jeannette, this is a really BIG post -- encompassing so many different thoughts and ideas. Many of these things you've written about make me think of a book that I've just finished: What to Look for in Winter: A Memoir in Blindness, by Candia McWilliam. Losing your health, coming to terms with aging and financial precariousness, a particular legacy from one's parents, finding meaning from one's art, overcoming the enemy in one's head, to name just a few similar themes/idea. Please read this stunning book. You may find a kindred spirit in it.
Brian, thank you. I'm glad, too.
Pauline, thank you so much, ONCE AGAIN, for your support.
Bee, I will order this book immediately--and see whether it is available on Kindle! Thank you, so much. It was a big post for me--full of so much that has hit me this last year, in a good way.
Post a Comment